• Check out the new Feedback and suggestions forum. This adds the ability to add ideas for the site and upvote/downvote them. It would be great to hear from you all in how we can boost site activity and who would like to assist with some exciting ideas from Rob and I.

Heat mat wattage

Pythonguy1

Hey guys,
I have a question that's been on my mind for a while, and that's; Is there a rule as to what wattage heat mat to use for an enclosure?
I like to go by the rule of, 25% of the mat covering the floor of the enclosure. Is this a safe method to use? Love to hear your advice.

Cheers, Josiah.

Pythonguy1

ive always heard and gone by 1/3rd of enclosure floor to be heated
as for wattage, go for the lowest that gets your desired temps, for your specific enclosure setup
Nice. Thanks mate đź‘Ť
Also, I was reading up about reptile one heat mats and apparently they've added a knock-off system that turns the mat off when it gets to 50 Celsius. So is it OK to use them without a thermostat, as that's what I've been doing.

Herptology

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
Nice. Thanks mate đź‘Ť
Also, I was reading up about reptile one heat mats and apparently they've added a knock-off system that turns the mat off when it gets to 50 Celsius. So is it OK to use them without a thermostat, as that's what I've been doing.
I wont say whether they are good or not as ive never really looked into it... in saying that, my first snake i had a 7w heatmat with a temp control wheel that i used without an external thermostat and i had no issues for multiple years running 24/7 (before i found the importance of having a day night cycle).... 50c seems kinda high tho..

Pythonguy1

50c seems kinda high tho..
Yeah it does seem a bit on the high end. Unless you're using it for something like a black-headed python which likes a basking spot of around 40.
Another thing that I wanted to ask was how to determine what lamp wattage to use in your enclosure? Are there any methods to determining that?