Heat mat wattage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pythonguy1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a question that's been on my mind for a while, and that's; Is there a rule as to what wattage heat mat to use for an enclosure?
I like to go by the rule of, 25% of the mat covering the floor of the enclosure. Is this a safe method to use? Love to hear your advice.

Cheers, Josiah.

ive always heard and gone by 1/3rd of enclosure floor to be heated
as for wattage, go for the lowest that gets your desired temps, for your specific enclosure setup
Nice. Thanks mate ?
Also, I was reading up about reptile one heat mats and apparently they've added a knock-off system that turns the mat off when it gets to 50 Celsius. So is it OK to use them without a thermostat, as that's what I've been doing.

Nice. Thanks mate ?
Also, I was reading up about reptile one heat mats and apparently they've added a knock-off system that turns the mat off when it gets to 50 Celsius. So is it OK to use them without a thermostat, as that's what I've been doing.
I wont say whether they are good or not as ive never really looked into it... in saying that, my first snake i had a 7w heatmat with a temp control wheel that i used without an external thermostat and i had no issues for multiple years running 24/7 (before i found the importance of having a day night cycle).... 50c seems kinda high tho..

50c seems kinda high tho..
Yeah it does seem a bit on the high end. Unless you're using it for something like a black-headed python which likes a basking spot of around 40.
Another thing that I wanted to ask was how to determine what lamp wattage to use in your enclosure? Are there any methods to determining that?

Latest posts

Back