Heat output of globes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel_saza

Reaction score
Is there anywhere where i can find information about the temperatures given out by heat globes? I'm trying to write a 'cheat sheet' to put up at work so we sell the appropriate equipment.

try a digi thermometer and test the globes maybee sorry no real answers

i use blue party bulbs 40 watt in winter and 25 watt in summer, but also taking in consideration i live in far nth qld and i have a unit which has 3 separate areas so the ones up top r also heating the bottom. i was told this from an experienced breeder and collector and overall it is cost effective to run multiple vivariums cheers debbie

There's must be something out there... if somebody has tested UV output of different then if sure temp output has been measured too

I'm not sure if it's that easy to get temperature charts for bulbs. It'll be less likely for common bulbs that are meant to be producing light, and heat is a by product.

Short answer is More Watts = More Heat.

Now for some physics...
1 Watt = 1 Joule/Second.
So a 100W bulb is converting 100 Joules of energy every second.
Lets say it has and efficiency of 5% so 95Joules are coming out as heat.

Now 95 joules is heating up 95 grams of air by one degree celcius every second.

And that's about it for me lol.

It all depends on how far away you're measuring from the bulb, and how hot the lamp actually gets when in balance with external cooling.
I think the best thing to do is try and get feedback from different customers and see how hot things get some set distance from different bulbs.

Most reptiles will find their own sweet spots to back in, so as long as it's producing enough heat, it doesn't really matter what bulb you get.

The actual temp of a globe will depend on the ambient temperature as well as other factors such as the amount of ventilation in the cage, so it is impossible to give a definitive answer.

The main thing is that heat travels either by convection and/or conduction, or through IR radiation, like UV.
UV isn't blocked to well by stuff in the air, and so the Inverse Square Law of radiation defines how much UV you get from any given distance. Hence the vast UV data available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back