Heat regulation in click clacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gilesm89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have just bought my first ever snake (a Stimson hatchling ‘Jeeves’) and he is doing really well. Feeding and handling no problem. He is currently in a click clack with a 15W heat cord at one end.

I was told by the pet shop that for the first 18 months I could keep in increasingly large click clacks with the same system. Does this sound OK? I was worried about temperature regulation but they insisted there was really no need for a thermostat at this stage. They said when it started to get a bit colder outside go for 2 lengths of cord rather than 1 which I have now done.

I have had a really good look through the forum and I haven’t heard of anyone else doing this so I thought I’d check. Thank you.

I disagree with the lack of need for the thermostat. A single line of heat cord can easily get into the 40s on its own. Granted it's a tiny surface area and it won't burn your snake (probably) but it's still worth getting one, especially now that you've got two runs.

Is the tub sitting on something to diffuse the heat like a tile? If so, just attach the probe with some tape outside the tub in contact with the tile and play around with the temp setting till you're happy with it.

No I just have the click clack sitting directly on the cords. Is that not really alright? I will get a thermostat – what is your opinion on making a small hole in the warm end of the click clack to put the probe through?

You can do whatever works for you. If you want to go without a tile and out the probe inside, plenty of people do it like that. I just like having it secured outside because the snake can't move it and interfere with the temperature control

I personally think thermostats are a waste of money in a lot of cases, however as a new keeper with limited/no experience they can be invaluable to both your stress levels and your snakes health so I certainly second Sax's suggestion of getting one.

Do you have a thermometer? cause as long as you are keeping the right temps you should be fine. I would also suggest that you put your heat mat on a timer so it is not on continually.

I don't have a thermometer no. I guess I should get two. One for the warm side and one for the cooler side.

I keep all of my snakes except a few with lights like you've been told here. I don't use a thermostat with any heat cord. It's a tiny area of heat, very easy to move out of, and I also have the benefit of being home during the day so I can turn the heating off when it's a warm day (or basically all of summer haha).

This is for cords mind you, if you're thinking about using a heat mat I would 100% suggest a thermostat (or just go ahead and keep using your heat cord instead).

When Im unable to rout a groove for the cord (or too lazy to), I have it set up similar to this.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp289/silvershadowwolf24/snaketub.jpg~original

You can get double probe ones with the one screen for each end of the click clack but you defiantly need a Thermometer especially if you aren't going to use a thermostat. (some one told me that you can get thermometers from a hardware shop a lot cheaper than a reptile shop)

As well as a thermometer and a thermostat, I would recommend a thermos of milo to drink while you spend your time enjoying your new addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back