Heat Tile Testing......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MzJen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ok so I'm sure this has been gone over a few (hundred) times, but I'd like to start my own thread :)
I have finished initial construction of a heat tile - heat cord, zig zagged then sandwiched between 2 330mm ceramic tiles. Thermostat probe also sandwiched between the tiles set currently at 36c.
Using my temp gun I am getting around 33c in the centre of the tile, but the outer edging is only around 26ish, is this normal?.
Cheers

Have managed to maintain temps all night :) pretty happy so far.
I have read a few very old threads about using "cor flute" as the heat cord spacer, just curious if anyone is currently still using this idea as it looked awesome. I believe the poster was SNOWMAN but I could be wrong

I was a big proponent of corflute but it was/is very difficult to find in 10mm squares. Depending on the type of heat cord you have, you can get away with the 5mm stuff but it means cutting away the fat part of the insulation, exposing the wiring (an act that old Snowman and i had fairly vigorous argument about at the time :D).
Really though, the corflute just allows you to get straight, even lines. Depending how you've secured the cord, your method is probably just as good.

Haven't been able to find any suppliers of 10mm :(
Seeing as I am not an electrician I wouldn't even attempt to cut and re attach the probe.!
I have attached using insulation tape ( the aluminium kind ).

I built a shelf just the other day using 5mm core flute. You don't need to use 10mm or cut/shave down the end of the heat cord, just slice the coreflute and glue it down, using as a spacer. When I've got time I'll post some photos.

Not really. The biggest advantage I think is that it is much more portable. I have a couple of "heat mats" made from it that have been super handy in emergencies

i do like the idea of portability as I like to change things up in my enclosures when I do a full scrub out :)

I use a heat cord zig zagging some raw MDF slatwall panel sandwiched with a tile :) Works perfectly. Similar to picture except the slats are closer together on mine.
upload_2017-6-23_19-24-4.png

I am just about to start making a heat tile for my Coastal.
These tips should really help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back