Heated branch!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyber_crimes

I have recently been reading up alot on GTP's,and I thought I may take a few GTP breeders ideas and use them with other species.I had read an article on using a pvc pipe from 1 end of the enclosure to the other for climbing and running heat tape through the pipe on a thermostat (taping prope onto the outside of the pipe to control heat). Id use 2 pipes 1 heated up high and 1 not a bit lower giving them the opportunity to choose where to hang.Also as the pipe would be under a light/heat source at 1 end for basking I expect there would be more of a heat gradient inside the enclosure.Anyway I thought this sounded great in theory what do you all think?

Just wondering with the probe on the outside of a reasonably efficient insulator (PVC pipe) the inner temp could get very high and the probe wouldn't cut out. Also what are you going to do regarding covering the wiring. Also are you letting snake crawl up inside tube or heating tube inside and letting them crawl outside?

Cheers Hawkeye

Basically I put a 1-inch PVC branch through the cage. I drill a hole(in sides of enclosure) that has a very close tolerance to the Grey PVC piping that I use. You can get Grey PVC piping in any electrical department of a hardware store. Don't drill your hole too big, I like the branch to be very snug and difficult to twist. Now simply run your heat tape (standard pipe heating tape "Easy Heat") through the hole in the branch. I now attach/tape a probe from one of my Helix thermostats anywhere along the branch to control the temperature.

Ok pics didnt work so I shall post the link to the actuall site.
http://www.chondroweb.com/Caging.htm

Hmmm it is really hard to explain without having the pics.
But if you take a look at the link posted down near the bottom of the page it gives a description and photos of how it is set up.

Cyber,

They look fantastic!!! :D

The only question I would have is how does the PVC tubing cope with the heat? I'd be a little worried about fumes being produced from the PVC as it heated up. It is a very small are inside the tube, and it would be a lot hotter inside it than it would outside.

Apart from that, it seems like a very good idea. Although have you thought about using metal piping? Then that way the heat tape through them could be operated on a thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back