Heath/rosenberg lifelong housing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukecee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I would like to eventually acquire a heath monitor in future, has anybody ever , or is it even possible for them to be housed in a standard melamine enclosure for their whole lifetime or do they NEED an outdoor enclosure, if they are able to be kept indoors I would assume it would need to be fairly large, but just how large ? Cheers

Hypothetically you could build a melamine enclosure large enough, but it would be a bit ridiculous. You can certainly keep them inside, but they'll need a large enclosure. Generally speaking you want at the very least 2x x 1x the total length of a monitor in floor space, preferably at least 4x x 2x. If you really want to set that up inside and run a powerful enough spotlight to heat it, sure, but realistically it's usually easier to provide that much space outside and let the sun do the work for free. They can be kept outside in most of Australia, almost anywhere other than the frozen wasteland corner (far south east).

I would like to eventually acquire a heath monitor in future, has anybody ever , or is it even possible for them to be housed in a standard melamine enclosure for their whole lifetime or do they NEED an outdoor enclosure, if they are able to be kept indoors I would assume it would need to be fairly large, but just how large ? Cheers
I always would say to keep large monitors outside.
But if you must keep some indoors i would say 5m x 3m x 3m (length, width, height)
Anyway an outdoor enclosure would probably be better

Hypothetically you could build a melamine enclosure large enough, but it would be a bit ridiculous. You can certainly keep them inside, but they'll need a large enclosure. Generally speaking you want at the very least 2x x 1x the total length of a monitor in floor space, preferably at least 4x x 2x. If you really want to set that up inside and run a powerful enough spotlight to heat it, sure, but realistically it's usually easier to provide that much space outside and let the sun do the work for free. They can be kept outside in most of Australia, almost anywhere other than the frozen wasteland corner (far south east).
Hey man would you say in Sydney NSW you’d be able to have a Heath Monitor outdoors with some heated hides

They live in the wild here on Kangaroo Island SA and it gets to the negatives over the winter time, they do just fine outside, mind you they go dormant/hibernate underground or in termite mounds over part of the winter but they survive :)

Outdoor glass pit for my pair, deep foundations as they love to dig burrows and 3M x 3M. Bunnings pool fencing panels. No extra heating really required (aside from a nesting box) as they are very hardy, just dry retreats out of the prevailing wind;)

Attachments

• IMG_3729.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4552 (2).JPG
    IMG_4552 (2).JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Outdoor glass pit for my pair, deep foundations as they love to dig burrows and 3M x 3M. Bunnings pool fencing panels. No extra heating really required (aside from a nesting box) as they are very hardy, just dry retreats out of the prevailing wind;)
I gotta hurry up and get my R2 monitor license!

Latest posts

Back