Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dilsy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm still in the dilemma of what type of monitor to buy.
I have been doing a fair bit of research about a few breeds, goulds, laceys, mertens, yellow spotted etc but haven't been able to find much infomation on the Heath monitor.

Few questions
What type of enclosure setup is right for these guys : long, tall, sand, mulch, trees rocks etc?

are they similar to another type of monitor that I can research about?

Does anyone have this type of monitor that could show me there setup, what they are like to keep, how big they can get?

as much infomation as possible would be great or some links to some good information

Cheers for help guys!

I've never kept Heath Goannas but they are a terrestrial goanna, averaging about 120cm that likes to dig and can be kept similarly to the Gouldii complex (Sand Goannas), though they can likely tolerate lower outdoor temps, given they're common on Kangaroo Island. Diet would include inverts, small mammals and birds and carrion. They're often known to lay eggs inside termite mounds, similar to Lacies. A great reference based on a study of this species is "Goanna-biology of the varanid lizards" by Dennis King and Brian Green published through UNSW Press.

Hope this is useful.

You would set them up similar to a Sand monitor, sand substrate at a depth that will allow them to burrow, nice hot basking spot & maybe some hollow logs. Enclosure size would be about 8' long x 3' wide as a minimum. They are traditionally rarer in the trade than those other monitors you listed.

I won't repeat what the others have said but they are notorious for being foul-tempered psychopaths that know how to use their tails and teeth.

Thats exactly what I wanted to know :) if they are that bad tempered maybe not the monitor for me then. What would you recommend? Best breed to have that won't mind being handled regualrly.

My question is, why the sudden interest in heath monitors?

Monitors aren't really a cuddle and hug pet. They are natural predators and deserve to be treated as such. Some respond to human contact better than others but they will never be domesticated like a dog.

Some people have lace monitors (Varanus varius) that seem to settle quite well and tolerate handling and constant interaction better than others. However, be wary, they know the scent of food and will not discern between your hand and food when hungry.

Crocdoc - they have a Heath monitor forsale at a reptile shop and certainly want to do my research about them before buying one

Rocket- yes I am aware they are not like a dog as such but after watching every single video that crodoc has put up :p his are very 'tame' if you want to put it that way.

But I am also aware that monitor are very smart creatures and know when it feeding time. Not saying that it will not take a bite when it's hungry, but know certain times and things that are related to feeding.

...after watching every single video that crodoc has put up :p his are very 'tame' if you want to put it that way.
Ah, but even the 'tamest' of my monitors will remove a finger or toe without hesitation under the right (or, rather, wrong) circumstances.

But I am also aware that monitor are very smart creatures and know when it feeding time. Not saying that it will not take a bite when it's hungry, but know certain times and things that are related to feeding.
Hmm.... yes, no and maybe. There are certain precautions you can take and most of the time, if you give the monitor all of the right signals, they can discern feeding times from non-feeding times, but to rely on that would be disastrous. I'll give a quick couple of examples (and I've probably told at least one of these stories before):

My adult male lace monitor never gets fed outside the enclosure, so he has no reason to think anything is food outside the enclosure, right? One day I was ironing a shirt and he and the female were both off wandering around my home, as I let them do for a few hours each day in summer. When I finished ironing, I unplugged the cord of the iron from the wall socket and accidentally dropped the plug while wrapping it up to put the iron away. The next thing I heard was the sound of claws on floor tiles as the male lace monitor came flying over to where I was, crossing my entire lounge-room and kitchen in under a couple of seconds. I looked down and saw the familiar quick, darting head movements of a hungry lace monitor that saw something move and is looking for the small animal that made the movement. Unfortunately, those quick, darting head movements were happening less than 30cm from my thong-clad feet and I knew that the slightest movement on my part would trigger a feeding response bite and I'd run the risk of losing at toe. Since then, I've never worn thongs while the monitors are out and about.

Ah, but even that precaution isn't enough. While sitting at this very computer desk last summer, I accidentally spilled some coffee on my mouse pad. I grabbed a tissue and started to wipe it up quickly. The same adult male lace monitor saw the quick movement and was on my (fortunately) jean-clad leg, ready to climb up after the 'prey' in an instant. I had to carefully push him off my leg with my other (Blundstone-clad) foot, for there was no way I could reach down with my hands in that moment.

My advice is to not think about 'tame' or 'pet' when considering a monitor, just in case it doesn't happen. If it does, it's a bonus. Also, I'd advise not to get the heath monitor. A matter of convenience now (ie available in a local pet store) will not mean anything when you still have the same animal 30 years later. Wait until you can get what you really want.

Read and absorb every little bit of what crocdoc has just posted. It's the best advice and information you will get.

Last edited:
...I'd advise not to get the heath monitor...
Hi David. Great post but I'm just wondering why you advise against getting a Heath Goanna? Is this advice specific to the OP or do you have reservations about this species in general?

Ah, but even that precaution isn't enough. While sitting at this very computer desk last summer, I accidentally spilled some coffee on my mouse pad. I grabbed a tissue and started to wipe it up quickly. The same adult male lace monitor saw the quick movement and was on my (fortunately) jean-clad leg, ready to climb up after the 'prey' in an instant. I had to carefully push him off my leg with my other (Blundstone-clad) foot, for there was no way I could reach down with my hands in that moment.

Situations like this scare the hell out of me, simply because you can't reach out with your hands to grab them or push them away. Yet, if you don't, they continue to climb up you.

Is this advice specific to the OP or do you have reservations about this species in general?
It'll be the OP's first monitor and I think he'll have a bad experience with it that may put him off monitors.

We have rosenbergs and they are a handful. V gouldii are much better behaved and just as nice.

cheers
scott

V gouldii are much better behaved and just as nice.

Agreed Scott, Gouldii are a more attractive monitor IMO, Rosenberg are a bit drab as adults (if colour/appearance is your thing).

CHRI5 - yes there is one at gully reptile centre.

crocdoc - that is the best advice i have read ever! yes this will be my first monitor. which type has the 'best' temper in your opinion? would love a lace but dont know if i have the experience to keep one.

all that i am hearing is bad things about heaths at the moment, so im guessing its not a wise for an un-experienced person to get one.

CHRI5 - yes there is one at gully reptile centre.

all that i am hearing is bad things about heaths at the moment, so im guessing its not a wise for an un-experienced person to get one.

Yeah I saw him too, nice animal.

Have a look at a Gouldii, Gully Reptile Centa have them there too (1 left I think). Better choice for a first monitor.

Don't misunderstand me I love the heaths, great lizards just maybe not suited to a first time large monitor keeper

They sold the gouldii the day before I went there on sunday :( yes the Heath had excellent colours! Besides Gould's what are other good first time large monitors to keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back