Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'd run the risk of losing at toe. Since then, I've never worn thongs while the monitors are out and about."

Id be more worried about loosing something else than a toe if all I wore was a thong around my large monitors ;)

Id be more worried about loosing something else than a toe if all I wore was a thong around my large monitors ;)
I don't know where you wear your thongs, but mine stay on my feet.

It's an Australian forum, so there are no 'flipflops'. You'll just have to get used to the local lingo, mate. :)

They sold the gouldii the day before I went there on sunday :( yes the Heath had excellent colours! Besides Gould's what are other good first time large monitors to keep?

Have a look at Scales & Tails at Pooraka, last time I was there a month or so ago Gavin had 2 juvenile Panoptes, about $400 each I think.

Oh I thought they closed down. I used to go there All the time when they were on prospect road, got my first python there. they have been around for along time and have alot of knowledge. Will have to go have a look :)

It'll be the OP's first monitor and I think he'll have a bad experience with it that may put him off monitors.
Thanks for clarifying that David. What species would you recommend as a first monitor?

I'd usually recommend something smaller, like ridgetails (Varanus acanthurus), but if people want to go larger, then Spencer's monitors or sand monitors. Male panoptes get big and have a really strong feeding response, so I'm not sure they'd be ideal for a first monitor.

So shouldn't get a lace? When you say strong feeding response do you mean they eat alot or are aggressive feeders?

When you say strong feeding response do you mean they eat alot or are aggressive feeders?

They are aggressive when they smell food, they will do all they possibly can to reach that smell, it can be scary if you're not expecting it & its obviously dangerous. My Panoptes are the most aggressive of my monitors, they easily have twice the aggression of my Lacie. Yet so does my Sand monitor. Maybe start with an Ridgetailed monitor.

Edit: sorry, when I talk aggression I'm only meaning at food time, they're like pussy cats otherwise :)

looking at getting a monitor bigger than a ridge-tail. as it will be with me for half of my life, want to make the right decision. this thread has helped me more than all of the reading on the net/forum. no one has mentioned mertens? has anybody had/have one that can share some infomation?

Mertens are quite different from any other monitor from what I've seen. They need a semi aquatic enclosure almost like a turtle with slightly more land area. They are basically in a different category again from what's been discussed here.
I think the suggestions for Spencers or gouldii are the ones you should consider most. That's just a personal opinion though

anyone know who has, or breeding spencers or goulds in SA?

Dylan you should be able to find a juvenile Gouldii reasonably easy, I bought mine from Reptile City at Christies Beach a few months ago. They come up for sale quite often. I would recommend you make a decision on what species you want (& IMO this should be a Gouldii or maybe a Spencers) & set up your enclosure to suit this. Then everything is ready for him.

Edit: there's a juvenile Spencers for sale on the herp classifieds, see here

Last edited by a moderator:
So shouldn't get a lace? When you say strong feeding response do you mean they eat alot or are aggressive feeders?

Absolutely do not get a lace monitor as your first monitor (and this is coming from someone that stands to benefit from people wanting to buy baby lace monitors, as I breed and sell them). Watch this video, for it shows a typical lace monitor feeding response. Every sizeable lace monitor I've ever owned, from juveniles up to adult, has been just like this. The speed and focus is legendary. This isn't my video, nor my animals.

How Not To Feed A Big Monitor Lizard - YouTube

(youtube link isn't working at the moment for some reason)

As for looking for breeders, don't restrict yourself to SA - most breeders will ship interstate. It may cost an extra $100 for interstate permit + shipping, but you'll forget about that $100 in six months, never mind 20-30 years when you still have the same animal. With monitors, the animal itself is usually the least expensive purchase, anyway, as housing, electricity and food add up quickly.

The bite from that lacey is gotta hurt big time.
The easiest monitors ive kept are stori and acks ,the enclosure is small ,bites were still extremely painful and they wont let go in a hurry.
Cant imagine getting bit by a lacey or something similar in size,its massacre stuff.

That video always makes me giggle. Perfect example of what happens when you mix stupidity and goannas.

The bite from that lacey is gotta hurt big time.
The easiest monitors ive kept are stori and acks ,the enclosure is small ,bites were still extremely painful and they wont let go in a hurry.
Cant imagine getting bit by a lacey or something similar in size,its massacre stuff.

Micro-surgery, permanent nerve damage stuff.

CHRI5 - yeh saw that add but seller isnt willing to ship.

crocdoc - yes have seen that video before but that is also a stupid way to feed monitors. the money isnt the problem, making the right choice is.

Hi Dilsy,
I also live in Adelaide and have kept Rosenburgs / Sandies / and Mertens for a few years now.
Out of the lot my Sandies are the most aggressive and the Rosie's are the quitest.
The Sandies are the are the smaller sub species which are only about 70cm total length and are the only monitors that I wear welding gloves for as the female is really feral and will bite all the time. [ the biatch has got me a few times now !!! ]
To get her out I slide a glove thru the gap in the door where she will launch at super sonic speed and latch on like a pit bull onto the glove, and then I can lift her up and grab her with a gloved hand.
When she decides to let go of the glove then I can put her into a tub to feed her as they will attack each other if fed together.
They are a bit easier to feed at the moment as they are seperated due to her about to lay soon.
Both the Mertens [ adult pair ] and the Rosenburgs [ adult trio together and 1 adult male by himself ] aren't seperated during feeding as there is no fighting at all, the worst the male Mertens will do is hiss and tail whip you if you invade his personal space, which I respect totally so there is no hassles and the Rosie's will only hiss quietly sometimes if I need to move them a bit if I'm in the pit cleaning or something.
I've just recently sold a couple of spare adult male Rosenburgs and bought an adult breeding trio 1 male 2 females from a bloke called Peter Anderson who was the first one to breed these in captivity a few years ago now.
Even the Adelaide Zoo asked him for advice on how to breed them as they had no luck back then, so hopefully they keep on breeding for me this year as they are far my favorite monitor.
Cheers Deano
PS I've kept back a Sandie hatchie from the other year and she is very mellow at the moment compared to the parents that I bought as feral adults tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back