Heating For Small Jungle Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSquat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before but hey, I'm a newbie. I have a small JP, about 6months old. I have her houses in a glass terrarium 40x40x40 with a mesh lid. Before anyone asks, she has plenty of hidey holes and doesn't appear stressed - not snappy at all. I know glass is not the best for maintaining heat but the room is well insulated (with the rest of the house) and I live in SEQ. What should I use to heat the enclosure; heat mat, cord or lamp? Do I need a thermostat or just a timer? I also have a Woma 2-3 yrs old in a melamine enclosure and read elsewhere on this site that she probably doesn't need any heat given their natural desert environment. Is this right? Appreciate all the wisdom from you experienced herp keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the glass terrarium you could try a heat mat under one third of the enclosure (with a thermostat) or a basking lamp over the mesh, again with a thermostat, but living in SE Qld, I'd go the heat mat, and put her hide over the warm end. Plenty of budget thermostats on Ebay, but go with a lower wattage mat so in the event of the thermostat failing, you won't cook your snake.

I'd still give the Woma heat, they need a hot spot of 32-35 degrees, and ambient temperature won't provide that. If your enclosure has light/heat fittings, use the lowest wattage bulb you can to get that basking temp, and again, a thermostat is essential IMHO.

Your setup is pretty much exactly how I had my Jungle when he was little lol
I agree with Snapped that a heat mat is best.
Because the enclosure is so small, a heat lamp won't provide the gradient you need, so a heat mat under 1/3 of the tank is the best option, and it worked well for me.
You could also put a towel over the top to help keep in heat/humidity during the winter, and when it's hot just take it off.
I wouldn't worry about a timer for the heatmat, since baby pythons should be getting 24 hour heat. Once it's over a year or so old, you can cut down the heat to only during daytime. However, you will need a thermostat, Some heat mats come with thermostats attached, like the 'Reptapets' ones. Or you could buy one separate.
I also agree with Snapped in that you need a hot spot or basking spot. Ambient temperature isn't enough and a snake needs a hot spot and thermal gradient to help with digestion food and thermoregulation.

Hope this helps you out, good luck!

Thanks for the great advice. I've set up a heat mat under the hide for the Woma and just bought a thermostat from eBay for the jungle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back