Heating for Stimson Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeighEspionage

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am upgrading my enclosure for my Stimson Python and the new height will be 60cm (2ft), so the thing I am most concerned about is what new heat lamp to use due to the large height gap between light and reptile.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

P.S The enclosure is wooden.

If you had previously used lights ( at a guess I'd say you have) and it was giving you the ideal temperature, you could construct a basking platform at the same distance away from the light and then reuse what you know works.
Otherwise if say you had a 50w globe, you could up it to a 75w or even 100w?
A few things come to mind with increasing the wattage, make sure your light cage doesn't get too hot, might need to increase its size.
Extra size means extra cost.
I'd personally be using what has worked for yourself in the past.
If the enclosure is wooden then you could consider running a heat cord?

I considered that, but the enclosure is set up for lights with the thermometer connected into it. Plus I don't want to mess around and have to drill holes to get the heat mat placed in there.
[doublepost=1527916996,1527916850][/doublepost]Would my Stimson know to move closer to the light to get a better temperature?

It might involve a little initial stuffing around to set it up but there's several advantages to using a heat cord rather than a lamp. The cord will create a hot spot without heating all the air in the entire enclosure... your python will have a much better temp gradient with a cord and be able to retreat to cool itself when necessary. Cords are lower wattage and will achieve the desired temp you're after for 1/3 - 1/4 of the running cost... heat lamps chew some serious juice. Lamps also blow and need replacing more often than cords which will add up $$$ in the long run and nocturnal pythons may find that a lamp bothers them, even in the daylight hours in a relatively small enclosure.

Okay thanks, I'll consider this and take a look at my local reptile shops and see what they have in stock.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back