Heating help

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by Anthony0739, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Anthony0739

Anthony0739 New Member

Hi guys, just needed some advice about heating. Just got the reptile one RTF enclosure with the wire mesh roof. I’ve got a ceramic heater placed on top of the wire mess roof. It is connected to a thermostat however the mesh roof in that area still gets extremely hot. Would this be safe for a children’s python to live in? I was told by the lady selling it to me to set it up like this however I’m concerned my python will climb and touch the roof and burn itself? On top of that I was wandering if it would be possible for the emitter to burn through the wire mesh roof? Ill include some pictures of the setup
    Thankyou in advanced! :) [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Abstractivity

Abstractivity Not so new Member

How Old is the python?

3. Anthony0739

Anthony0739 New Member

She’s a year old, eating weekly and shedding fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. LittleButterfly

LittleButterfly Not so new Member

From what I've heard the heater could cause some heat damage to the mesh. It depends on the snake but it may climb up and potentially touch the roof.

5. Abstractivity

Abstractivity Not so new Member

was going to suggest a click clack but getting a little too old and I don't know a good solution for your problem

6. Andrew Lloyd

Andrew Lloyd Not so new Member

My setup is similar in the fact that it has wire mesh with a heat source above it, though I use a heat bulb. It has gotten the mesh hot to the point of discolouration but aside from that it hasn't compromised the security of the tank and I haven't had problems with my year old Bredli trying to get near it.

If you're extremely worried about it you could try an alternative way of providing a hot spot for the snake like a heat tile attached to a thermostat or a heat mat on the exterior of it's a tank.