Heating help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekw

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a 8 month old super zeb arriving on Saturday and im trying to get everything right before his arrival. Using a 7W reptile one heat matt and a microclimate evo lite thermostat on a 21L tub from the reject shop. No matter what i try the thermostat wont read over 25deg but the temp gun says 31deg. I have the probe placed right on the hot spot.
What reading is the one i go off? Its beginning to really stress me out. Perhaps the tub is the wrong plastic?

I need to have this sorted before my animal arrives :(
[doublepost=1565216429,1565215964][/doublepost]Trying to post pictures but they are to large. I do have little feet under the tub for air flow. Maybe the mat needs direct contact?

Go off the temp gun mste
[doublepost=1565216864,1565216768][/doublepost]Generally much more accurate ive noticed. Is the probe in contact with the matt/hotspot ??

Definitely the temp gun view, you want the probe as close to the heat mat as possible

I have the probe directly on the surface of the plastic. Im concerned its just reading air temp tho.
[doublepost=1565224729,1565224666][/doublepost]
I just bought one, thought i'd try a change from habistat, so i can get better idea of temps in my incubator :) how is it going with you?
Its a cool bit of equipment but im just not sure im using it right.

7 watts is a very small heatmat . I wouldnt be surprised if you are not achieving sufficient heat. What is the ambient air temperature. you can check the thermometers against ice and boiling water!

Thanks for the tips guys! I will test that once i get home. When i hit the heat mat with the temp gun it says 32deg.
[doublepost=1565235907,1565235793][/doublepost]I thought i had bought the correct size heat mat dor a 21L tub:/
[doublepost=1565253340][/doublepost]So the probe is fine. Ice and heat wind it up and down. Went and got a 16w matt. The issue has to be this plastic tub. $12 tub from the reject shop must be to thick.

oh... you made the thread haha!

yea afaik, probes arent very good for measuring surface temps, unless u have the tip on bottom (like standing up) but are more for air temps, from lights/radiators etc

With MC evo lite, make sure u have it set to pulse or dimming, and you don’t have the alert temps to close to desired temp, I have mine to 25/38 for hatchling rack, and it’s a constant 32.0, even on graph it never goes below 31.9/32.1

I found I accidentally set alert temp to 32 and it wasn’t working, so I set the actual desired temp to 32 and it works a treat, I have the probe above the heat cord under a fake “control” tub

With MC evo lite, make sure u have it set to pulse or dimming, and you don’t have the alert temps to close to desired temp, I have mine to 25/38 for hatchling rack, and it’s a constant 32.0, even on graph it never goes below 31.9/32.1

I found I accidentally set alert temp to 32 and it wasn’t working, so I set the actual desired temp to 32 and it works a treat, I have the probe above the heat cord under a fake “control” tub

Could you show a picture of that please? So you’ve got the probe sitting above the heat cord but not in the tub itself?
I’ve had the same issue with the probe not measuring surface temp inside a tub.

Could you show a picture of that please? So you’ve got the probe sitting above the heat cord but not in the tub itself?
I’ve had the same issue with the probe not measuring surface temp inside a tub.
I’ve got the probe under the tub and above the cord i should have said I set it to 33/ which allows a slightly lower 32 in tub

It works great. Im so glad i got this thermostat. I have the prope under the paper towel on the surface of the tub. The chart showed a drop to 25deg this morning but my new snake had messed everything up in there lol. Ive got it set at 32deg and on pulse.

It works great. Im so glad i got this thermostat. I have the prope under the paper towel on the surface of the tub. The chart showed a drop to 25deg this morning but my new snake had messed everything up in there lol. Ive got it set at 32deg and on pulse.
Good to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back