Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chappy

Reaction score
Hello all:D Well i will introduce myself my name is Paul and i am a first time user to this site and i am going to purchase my first Python very soon!!! I love them and allways wanted one after i had a mate who use to bring his around to my house and i fell in love with them ever since!!!

I understand that there is an expo in Melb soon on the 23 of Feb at the showgrounds and i will be attending and hopefully purchasing a python there!!!

I am bit of a newbie regarding pet snakes and any info you can give me on the best types of python i.e Blackhead, carpet, olive, etc... would be greatly apreciated and info on enclosures and food and stuff. I have a small child my daughter Mia who is 3 and want a python who will be friendly and not aggresive :lol:

Well thats enough ranting from me!!! I am probably sure you have heard it all before and i look forward to your reccomendations for my first pet python!!!

Cheers Paul.

Hey Paul, Welcome to APS, There are so many great pythons, if money is no object alot of people recommend womas. I have a couple of spotted and they are total different tempraments so i guess if you can get some time interacting with your snake before you buy it you will get some idea of what it's like, the melbourne expo sounds like a great place to do that. Good luck.

Thanks Peoples i appreciate the replys!!

For a better understanding i am looking at spending about $1000 for my new pet and the enclosure etc so when i bring Rocky (I havnt even bought the Python and i have a name for him!!! LOL) home everything is ready to go!!

Please let me know if my budget is enough and what i am likely to get for that money!!

Cheers paul.

Hi Paul. Welcome to APS. Think about Bredli. Very easy snake to care for, looks good, lovely temperament and not too expensive. And a Bredli could wear the name Rocky so well!!! Yep, go Bredli! :D

;) I'm not biased.........much :p

Are you thinking about buying your enclossure or building it?

Buying Channi!! Do you think my budget $1000 is enough for my new python and enclosure??

Any tips on best snakes for a first time person like me and my daughter?? I have used the search function and theres a wealth of information here!! I will keep searching!!

Ty Paul.

hi paul welcome, mate i have a m/d murray darling carpet it is the best i have a daughter 13 and a son 8 and thay both handle him , m/d have one of the best temperament around

Thanks for all the kind words guys :D

I would really love a Black python with silver markings!!!! I love that color scheme on a snake and is there any pythons that come in that color scheme??

Murray Darlings are dark grey with light grey markings. But they aren't as nice as Bredli.......................

Thanks kakariki i will definantly look into a bredli but they seem to be quite expensive!!!

Also is it better for me being a first time owner to buy a mature snake or a yearling i see shops at the moment selling both for big price differences???

I would be devaststed if i bought a yearling and something went wrong and it died and then someone says " Well you should of bought a mature snake for your first one!!"

I am really tossing up what to buy and i suppose i just want a python with a good tempremant ( arent we all!!) I know every snake will be different but i guess i want to narrow down the chances of getting an aggresive one by sticking to a breed that is known for being quite pleasant!! Sort of like buying a dog i would be going a Labrador if you know what i mean because they arent aggresive.

Hi Paul welcome to APS.

Do a search on enclosures here and you will get a good idea of what you need.

IMO for your first snake I would go for an Antaresia, which would be either a Childrens, Spotted or Stimsons python or maybe try a Morelia bredli. You will find younger snakes are cheaper and if you go this route, which I would suggest, make sure you buy from a reputable breeder and make sure the snake is already feeding well and has shed a few times.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi Paul welcome to APS.

Do a search on enclosures here and you will get a good idea of what you need.

IMO for your first snake I would go for an Antaresia, which would be either a Childrens, Spotted or Stimsons python or maybe try a Morelia bredli. You will find younger snakes are cheaper and if you go this route, which I would suggest, make sure you buy from a reputable breeder and make sure the snake is already feeding well and has shed a few times.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks Mrmik, any ideas or could you point me in the right direction for a good breeder in the melb area??

I really want to purchase from from a reputable person!

Hi Paul,

Lovely to hear there is someone else in just our position! We have an almost 3yo daughter, Daisy (whose best friend is called Mia btw!) We are getting our first python in a couple of weeks - a Stimson's. We did loads of research and decided we wanted to start with a smaller snake (they only get to around 1m) They are apparently very good natured and friendly (although snappy as littlies, but all snakes are, I've heard!)

We're getting a hatchy because then we can ensure she is regularly handled so she will grow up placid and easy to handle. Adults can be good as you know they are healthy/feeding well etc but if they havem't been handled a lot they can take a while to settle. Adults tend to cost more than hatchlings.

Another plus is the price. You can get a Stimson's hatchling for around $300 and an enclosure for around the same price plus a few extra for heat/light etc. So that leaves some money for your next snake! We are already planning a Bredli as a second snake!

PS We have been showing our daughter a few vids of pythons feeding on (frozen/thawed) mice on youtube to get her used to the idea! Make sure you check that the vid is of already dead mice, not live bunnies. Could cause SERIOUS nightmares! :shock:

Good luck and we'd love to hear what you decide!

Also, you will start a hatchling in a click clack - a plastic tub from Woollies with a heat mat and a few basic hides - about $50 all up. You won't need a big enclosure for 6-12 months if you want to spread the cost out a bit!

I'd probably agree with the bredli. Although I love my Murray Darlings... All my animals have contact with an 8 year old and a 12 year old on a daily basis so they're friendly. It doesn't matter what species you get - just check with the seller for temper.

Mine was $300 which is pretty normal for a bredli.
If you get a young snake you will need to keep it in a small click clack type enclosure - which won't cost more than $30. In which case, you're looking at ....

$300 snake
$30 click clack
$30 heat cord
from $80 thermostat

and then hides and water bowls - maybe $40 if you get fancy ones from the pet store- free if you make them yourself from shallow dishes and empty cardboard boxes.

So you're looking at less than $500 to start, and while the python is growing you can get to work setting up your adult enclosure, either building, paying someone else to build or buy it premade. With the spare $500 you could get a lovely big wooden enclosure with polished branches and things...

Good luck, welcome.

How much are you looking at spending on the actual snake?

What size are you looking at? Small/medium/large?

I'd probably agree with the bredli. Although I love my Murray Darlings... All my animals have contact with an 8 year old and a 12 year old on a daily basis so they're friendly. It doesn't matter what species you get - just check with the seller for temper.

Mine was $300 which is pretty normal for a bredli.
If you get a young snake you will need to keep it in a small click clack type enclosure - which won't cost more than $30. In which case, you're looking at ....

$300 snake
$30 click clack
$30 heat cord
from $80 thermostat

and then hides and water bowls - maybe $40 if you get fancy ones from the pet store- free if you make them yourself from shallow dishes and empty cardboard boxes.

So you're looking at less than $500 to start, and while the python is growing you can get to work setting up your adult enclosure, either building, paying someone else to build or buy it premade. With the spare $500 you could get a lovely big wooden enclosure with polished branches and things...

Good luck, welcome.

I reckon he should put the $500 towards his next snake! We all know he will want one! :lol:

Thankyou jess the reply was great and much appreciated :lol:.

Think i will go the Stimson!! Now just have to find a decent breeder in the melb metro area!!

P.S.

Sorry to disillusion you but no snake is friendly. They are predators, beautiful, intriguing & savage. All can [ & probably will ] bite at some time. Murray Darlings are well known for being placid but imo Bredlis are just as good. I have 2 yearling Bredlis, both have bitten me & all the family has been tagged at some point by both of them BUT that is mostly our fault cos we are still learning too. I wouldn't say Bredlis are expensive, around the $300 mark. Bottom line is you het what takes YOUR fancy. And the more you handle your snake, the quieter he/she will become. Here is one of mine. I have mine in smallish tanks [cos I like to watch them] with a heat lamp & log. Whatever you decide [ and you will get loads of great info here] make sure we see them too. Pics, pics, pics....:p
P.S. Her name is Calliope but could be a Rocky! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back