Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much are you looking at spending on the actual snake?

What size are you looking at? Small/medium/large?

I am looking at about $300 or $400 on the snake and the rest on enclosures and lights and everything!!! I am the sort of person to walk into a bredder or store and say i have X amount to spend what can i get and this is the snake i want !!! I dont want to come across as arrogant but i like everything pre done ready to go and i will pay for the right set up to suit! :lol:

Yeah, fair call kakariki, I shouldn't have said friendly - what I really meant was family-friendly - ie a good family pet.

Beautiful Bredli btw!

Despite being predators.. I got my Murray Darlings at 2-3 months of age - in the year that i've had them - the female has never bitten (or struck) anyone - and i take her out all the time, and the male only bit me because he misjudged the distance and bit my hand and not the rat when feeding.

My bredli has never bitten (or struck) either - and she was about 6 months when I got her, and I've had her for about 6 months.

On the other hand - my friends stimson - which he also got at 3 months and has had for just over a year - is a little chain saw... bites a dozen times every time it's taken out.

It seems to me to totally depend on the snake's (dare i say it?) "personality".

Just check with the breeder. Ask for the calmest one.

welcome to aps
If you are after something thats black with silver markings, maybe a black and white jungle python, i've never see one in person but some of the pics I've seen have been great.
We also have a child she's 6 now and have a coastal carpet python and she has been a pleasure to own never bitten and rearely strikes (only sometimes when startled when we wake her up to get her out of enclosure, just a warning strike though).

Chappy - totally agree. It's a hassle. Maybe look on herptrader.com.au then? See if you can find someone in your local area who's selling the whole kit and caboodle as a package?

Sorry to disillusion you but no snake is friendly. They are predators, beautiful, intriguing & savage. All can [ & probably will ] bite at some time. Murray Darlings are well known for being placid but imo Bredlis are just as good. I have 2 yearling Bredlis, both have bitten me & all the family has been tagged at some point by both of them BUT that is mostly our fault cos we are still learning too. I wouldn't say Bredlis are expensive, around the $300 mark. Bottom line is you het what takes YOUR fancy. And the more you handle your snake, the quieter he/she will become. Here is one of mine. I have mine in smallish tanks [cos I like to watch them] with a heat lamp & log. Whatever you decide [ and you will get loads of great info here] make sure we see them too. Pics, pics, pics....:p
P.S. Her name is Calliope but could be a Rocky! :lol::lol:

Cheers kakariki i will probably ge bitten i realise that and understand what your saying!!! I just want one and i cant wait!!!!!!!!

Great pics to i love em!!

Even if you can't get the snake and enclosure as a package, look for a fully setup enclosure with heat/lights etc. You might save a bit by buying all the bits and pieces on ebay etc and assembling it yourself, but it's far more work.

http://www.herptrader.com.au/ - for example there was a adult female MD there - which says "beautiful handler" total package with snake and enclosure is $600. Not in your area (mine incidently :p) but if you keep checking you'll find something similiar and perfect for your needs. :)

Once again. Good luck. Enjoy!

Thanks all the replys are awesome!!!! Allthough adding to my confusion for my snake!!! Bredli, Murray downs, Stimson etc !!!! LOL

Thanks to serenaphoenix your info is great.

jess is right. You will probably want more. We have plans to get more. We would like spotteds, stimmies jungles, womas, black headeds................................

Haha, Murray Darling. :) As in, the Murray Darling River. They are truly lovely. Have a look on that ad for the Murray Darling on herp trader see if you think she's pretty. Reference number 802 - 901.

See, I like bigger snakes, I just like feeling their weight in my hands and looking at their magnificent bodies. I was adamant my first snake was going to be a 12ft olive (i came to my senses). But then, I like big dogs too, german shepards and dobermans and such.. but some people like toy dogs.. and little snakes....

If you're a little snake person go the stimmy. If you're a big snake person go the bredli (or a carpet - such as an MD)

Feel free to PM if you need anything. Seriously. More than happy to help.

jess is right. You will probably want more. We have plans to get more. We would like spotteds, stimmies jungles, womas, black headeds................................

Totally agree. I'm desperate for an olive and a water. But I stopped my addiction by buying a beardie... I swear I spend 90% of my time feeding and cleaning poo (don't worry Paul - one snake is NO hassle).

I have 1 Beardie. He is a darling but I hear you serenaphoenix. How can 1 lizard make so much poo!! :shock:

I am going to visit my local herp shop in Ardeer tmorrow !!! Not to far for me and talk to the staff there and tell them what i am after etc!!!

Hopefully i will be able to get something.. i .e whole kit and caboodle!!!! keep you all posted in this thread and once again thanks everyone for the great replies and not making me feel like a noob as i am new to this and i have a love of snakes and its time to bite the bullet and go for it!!!!

Cheers Paul. :D:D

Good luck Paul & remember to take pics...lots & lots of lovely pics :lol::p
Can't wait to see Rocky the .............bredli? :lol:

Hi guys well i just got back from seeing Matt and his Father Harry from their shop in Hoppers Crossing. Well what can i say great blokes and customer service was 1st class with plenty of proffesionall advice and tips on hand!!!

I have decided on the Bredli!!!! After much confusion looking onto the displays soooooo many beautifull snakes there!!!! I am going to get a baby Bredli and an enclosure package fully done ready to plug in and go!! The enclosure is a smaller one 600 by 600 i think or around there!! Harry said this will be adequate for the snake for around 12 to 18 months then i will upgrade to a bigger one. The price was FANTASTIC i dont know if i should advertise the price but it was just over the $600 mark and it has everything included ready to go home and plug in!!!!

Tomorrow i will taking my better half there to see the snake and my 3yo Daughter Mia and she is so excited!!! Hopefully i will have the snake this week!! :D:D

Matt has a course coming up in March and i will be booking my place to help me clean, feed , handle and care for new pet who i have allready named Rocky!!!

Thanks for the replys Paul.

P.S Anyone from here doing his course on the 9th of March??

You can get a 1200 x 600 x 600 for $259.00
Bredli from for $300 - $350.00
A shop will rip you off bad.

http://customreptileenclosures.com/enclosures.html

The price for the snake is the same Auz the only difference is your offering a bigger enclosure for me. Allthough i looked on your webpage and the 1200 x 600 x 600 was a bit more than the $259 you advertised!! The size of the enclosure i am getting is 800 x 600 x 600 and will see fit for 12 mths at least. I appreciate the help though and if you were in Melb i would be definantly paying you a visit. I dont like purchasing things over the Net with nothing but Photos to show me what i am buying. I may be Fussy but that is just me and i have been burnt before with net purchases going off photos!! :D

Cheers Paul

That was a ebay price - I use to supply shops when I lived in Melbourne and I know what your getting.
And I bet it isn't value for money + the 110% mark up:rolleyes:.

Go to feedback and there are enough people who have brought enclosures from us.

But good luck with your new enclosure and snake - I was just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back