hello im a noob

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milky

Reaction score
hey everyone,
my name is mick im 23 and i live on the gold coast, im only new to keeping reptiles, i got a coastal carpet snake the other day its my first snake 8) its only about 30cm long. im lookin forward to when it gets bigger :twisted: my other hobbies are fishing, fish keeping(african cichlids), riding my bmx and sometimes i surf.. anyways heres a pic of fluffy(just a temporary name til i think of somethin better)
snake.jpg

look forward to talkin to you guys and finding out the stuff i need to know to keep fluffy happy cos all i know is what the guy in the shop tells me and we all know he wants money...
anyways any tips are welcome thanks in advance guys 8)

hey thanks for the warm welcome guys heres some more pics,
snake001.jpg

snake002.jpg

its just an empty fish tank i had layin around and i made the lid with materials from bunnings it cost 6 bucks, i got the wood cut to size and everything for $2 the shade cloth on top was the most expensive thing it was $2.65 and it took me about half an hour to put it all together 8) what do u guys reckon? i have it next to a door so the breeze gets in there. is this enough ventilation? should i put some 6mm gravel for a fish tank in there on the bottom? give me some tips guys...

Ok before the feeding frenzy starts I'll pop this in quickly. Snakes don't usually do very well in glass enclosures, especially not when they've got 4 exposed sides. The glass makes it very hard to regulate the temperatures and the "open" effect of the glass leaves them (especially little ones) feeling vulnerable and can lead to problems with feeding. If it's next to a door which cops a fair bit of sun this can lead to the snake getting quite hot.

I'm not saying any of this to pick on you, I know you're out for advice and this is mine: for the meantime, grab a plastic tub from big w or a shop like that, the ones that you can't see through are the best . Drill small holes along the outer edge or the top for ventilation and have some small hides in there where fluffy can curl up in and touch all the sides, it might look a bit squishy but it helps them feel secure.

i would suggest get a more sturdy water bowl and to fix the stress thing i reckon just put lots of hides in there and put some of that fancy background paper or butchers paper stuck to the side so they are solid colours but with the heating i wouldnt have a clue because heating doesnt concern me in the NT

Mate.. . . First of all... Welcome...

I am also on the near the Gold Coast. Near Ormeau to be more exact... Dont worry about putting your hatchie near the door to get the breeze. As he/she is so young you will want to keep them a lil warm, especially as it starts to cool down a bit.

Do you have a thermometer at all.... I think for a young hatchie you would want to keep the temps somewhere between 24 -30 deg celcius... So you might want to move the enclosure to get the best temperature. Or look at getting a heat mat and place approx 1/3 to 1/2 of it inder one end of your tank.

Just an idea to, I did with my hatchies in a 4 ft tank. I placed some insulation around the tank. You know the same stuff they put on walls or under roof tiles when they build a house....

Anyway, i could go on and on about things you can or possibly should do, but I wont. If you want any advise.... Feel free to ask. As I am not far away from you, I am only to pleased to help you in whatever way. (Within Reason)

Have Fun.... Rick

Hi mate and welcome. Funny thing how you nailed the Pet Shop guy very early. They can't sell herps in pet shops down in sydney so we have not been exposed to the problems that can cause. We also understand that you went to the only source you knew and that is fine. But please get him a little tub. I posted pics of some recently. They cost 4 bucks each. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers and I look forward to many a stoush.

yawn* hey n00b.

ditch the heat rock. they are crap for snakes (great for lizards).

use a protected heat lamp (available at www.herpshop.com.au) ( or at most reptile petshops for twice as much)

PS- nice coastal, great first snake.

Hi fellow newbie Fluffy is soooo cute. Like you I bought my first from a pet shop only I was lucky they looked after me and have prooven themselves invaluable with info.

Azztech.... Wouldnt a heat mat under 1/3 - 1/2 the enclosure be better to get some temp gradient??? Over as protected globe that is???

Am i the only one thats reading the topic post as saying/meaning something else ?? hello im a noob !!! :lol:

ello milky...welcome to the nuthouse ! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back