Help? Brand new python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachie2261

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey I just picked up my new spotted python it's 10 months old and about 15 - 20 cms long.

I got him in a small click clack container and when I got him home I added my own stuff eg water bowl. And some kitty litter and put the snake in and been ready to leave him alone for the next week or so. However I noticed the container is a little dusty and I think it's from the kitty litter I put in . Is that really bad for her? I don't wanna disturb her but yeah

Thanks !

So is the dust from the kitty litter going to effect the snake?

I would be ditching the kitty litter in favour of some paper towel - much easier to maintain IMO.

Already done thanks mate . His out and cruising around only had him 2 hrs and his not hiding lol thanks haha

For the first while stick to paper substrate. When you change to a larger habitat you can look at a number of options. I use astro turf (fake grass) with newspaper underneath it.

Looking forward to some pics in the next couple of weeks. Good luck and enjoy.

New enquiry?

Big problem really..

I have a 7L Click clack with a 14w 28x28cm heat mat and a digital thermometer I got from all things slimy at tuggarah on the central coast. However the heat mat has been on for 2 days and is pretty hot to touch the thermometer is saying its only 28 degrees on the hot side.. The snake has been out all day just moving around but when it stops and just chills it's always on the cold side..

My question: is the thermometer broken or the heat mat?

Is the heat mat on a thermostat? Thermostats are a must with mats. Where is the thermometer probe? If its measuring air temp then it's probably right. Heat mats don't really heat the air. They just heat the surface so if you want an accurate reading you need to have the probe sitting on the ground

Thanks mate . No the thernostat is coming in the mail still so I got a thermometer for the weekend .. :)

Insulate the the warm end with a few layers of newspaper. There is a range of opinions on the heat mats but I use mine under the tank, then I have about 6 or 8 layers of newspaper and my astroturf. My mac alternates between ends and will happily spend time in the warm end. Also if your mat is that large sit the clickclack on it so that it is ony under one third of the container. Place the whole thing ontop of an old piece of carpet or a towel to protect the furniture it is sitting on.

Is it just me, or does that seem pretty small for a 10 month old? My stimson is nearly 9 months and is nearing the 40 cm mark...
If that's the case, I hope he feeds well now that you have him OP :)

Just checked out some pics...hoping that you just aren't the best at estimating length in cm haha ;)

Is it just me, or does that seem pretty small for a 10 month old? My stimson is nearly 9 months and is nearing the 40 cm mark...
If that's the case, I hope he feeds well now that you have him OP :)

My thoughts exactly, my spotted is 11 months and is abit past 60cm.

What pics?

Edit: ahh those pics, yeh that spotted looks bigger then 20cm thats for sure.

Last edited:
Haha yeah I am terrible at my estimation she wwould be about 35cm maybe 40cm

Skittles was 14months when I got her and was about 75cm, she was on weener mice when I picked her up and I quickly upsized her to hoppers. At 22months she is now 1.2m and I only feed her one large mouse a fortnight.

Hopper rats or hopper mice? cause i was gonna say hopper mice are smaller then weaners ;)

Sorry might have my terms wrong... what ever the next size mouse is from weener. Sub-adult? Quite a bit smaller than the large adult mice I use now.

Im not sure, could be sub-adult or they could be classed as small adult mice, what do they weigh?

They were effectively 1/2 - 3/4 grown.

I've never done the whole weighing food stuff. I go to a mates place and grab what looks right from his live mice or what he has in the freezer at the time. These days I look for the biggest ones I can find and she mucnhes them down. I had two slightly smaller ones left at the end of the last bag and she scoffed the both of them without a second thought. Due to the ready supply I have access to I don't plan on putting her across to rats, eventually I'll just give her two large mice.

Ok so I fed my python last night for the first time. She ate 2 fuzzy mice. No problems but after that she just kinda stared at us for ages almost as if she was expecting more. She stayed out of her hide for ages but today hasn't left at all. It's the first I haven't see her cruising around the whole time

Ok so I fed my python last night for the first time. She ate 2 fuzzy mice. No problems but after that she just kinda stared at us for ages almost as if she was expecting more. She stayed out of her hide for ages but today hasn't left at all. It's the first I haven't see her cruising around the whole time

My stimmi does this too haha. She's like more! more! more! But two fuzzies sounds plenty for now. As for chilling in the hide for ages, most snakes do this after a feed for a few days. They just need to chill and digest their meal and I'm guessing that your hide is the warmest place to do so. It's perfectly normal and good. After a couple of days she should be out and about again :)

For mice it's pinkies, fuzzies, hoppers, weaners and adults.
Sounds like a cutie and you're doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back