HELP fight back against the attack on reptile keeping in Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why would BHP's be cat 1, and woma's cat 2? that doesn't make sense to me. And pygmy pythons weren't on the list that I could see.

I filled out the survey, going to look for petitions now.
[doublepost=1528157474,1528153826][/doublepost]email sent to minster, thanks to Cris for the links.

In some ways Im abit surprised that this issue hasn't really generated much discussion on this forum as opposed to others.

In some ways Im abit surprised that this issue hasn't really generated much discussion on this forum as opposed to others.
I am in total agreement with you. I am not sure people really understand just exactly what is at stake. What surprises me is why nobody has even talked about a petition or a simple yes/no vote on whether we support the proposals. As I said in my earlier post on this thread if we don't say something or take a stand, we will get these regulations. That will have a huge impact on all of us, not just QLDer's because MOST of what they are trying to push through is targeted to take away what we love and for some of us have been involved in for a lifetime. This will have a ripple effect that will be felt right around the country. We will all be affected by these proposals if they become law.

We should be running a petition through APS and being as vocal in our opposition as we can be. We should have as many members as possible sign a petition saying NO to the proposals. Make no mistake, this is the first step in the process of taking away our interest, of making it harder for us to keep native animals including reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates as pets.

Lets talk about this. The more people talking about it the better. Be informed. Have a read of the ridiculous article that Rorybreaker posted up for us on the bottom of the previous page. If that doesn't get you hopping mad then I don't know what will. Go to my facebook page and read my response to the journalist at the Brisbane Times who actually wrote the garbage that was published. This is what we need to do. If we all get involved then we will have a big voice and we will NOT be ignored.

Mark Hawker

Having online records makes sense.

Only if it's very user friendly. I've helped people apply for their recreational wildlife license with the new "connect" system, what used to take a few short minutes, now takes over an hour. screens don't load properly, it's overly complicated, payments don't go through and the page expires. it's a nightmare.
[doublepost=1528409731,1528409545][/doublepost]Is there anything else I can do? I sent an email to the minister, filled out the survey. any other suggestions? (I don't have access to facebook though.) The deadline is approaching very quickly.

I'd like to know the outcome of the meeting over the weekend... although the pictures didn't show a huge turnout... and to be honest, I doubt many people even know about this.

Only if it's very user friendly. I've helped people apply for their recreational wildlife license with the new "connect" system, what used to take a few short minutes, now takes over an hour. screens don't load properly, it's overly complicated, payments don't go through and the page expires. it's a nightmare.
[doublepost=1528409731,1528409545][/doublepost]Is there anything else I can do? I sent an email to the minister, filled out the survey. any other suggestions? (I don't have access to facebook though.) The deadline is approaching very quickly.

What you have done is fantastic. If everybody did this then we wouldn't have to worry about this going through. All you can do now is keep talking about it making sure that as many people as possible know about it and get them to do something about it.

Is there any way that we can set up some sort of petition on this forum that members can add their names to, saying that we don't agree with the proposed changes. I am sure that would be helpful and a way some people can express their concern.

This seems like a hard battle, some of the new changes are good too. As I understand, it should allow all legal reptiles to be traded in petshops. Having online records makes sense. I was not familiar with the old bird species list, but they are supposed to be getting more species added. I have only read about half of it so far, they seem to have everything narrowed down to a number of options.

Banning perenties and a few other species that are not commonly kept is probably not going to bother many people. According to their figures only 5% of wildlife licence holders will need the most expensive licence.

What about the people that it does bother. One day you may be in that 5% category but guess what you would have already missed the boat because you don't keep Perenties NOW so it doesn't matter.

The online system in NSW is totally inflexible and certainly from my point of view not at all user friendly, it is out of date with the species names, it does not allow for out of the ordinary comments or corrections that a keeper may want to make, there is no process where off schedule species held can be recorded. I get told to put the off schedule species on a paper return. What a joke. We have a system in place that can only be described as dysfunctional or at best hybrid. A little bit of electronic and a little bit of paper.

A petition's already in place. I've heard that apparently in WA there's going to be a few changes in the new year. I dread to think what will happen.

Last edited:
A petition's already in place. I've heard that apparently in WA there's going to be a few changes in the new year. I dread to think what will happen.
Unfortunately they won’t accept a 3rd party petition or something and has to be shown via physical letters, even emails just get snuffed under the rug

A petition's already in place.

Where is the petition?

This is where the petition probably should be http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/current-epetitions

What about the people that it does bother. One day you may be in that 5% category but guess what you would have already missed the boat because you don't keep Perenties NOW so it doesn't matter.

Not sure where you get the idea that it doesn't bother me. I am in that 5% category and was probably going to get some perenties in the future as either the only species I would keep or possibly along with a couple others. If the laws get through, I will probably stop keeping reptiles. I have not given up and will do as much as I can, I just doubt it will end well.

I still haven't finished reading through the proposal, but will have time to do that next week.

Where is the petition?

This is where the petition probably should be http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/current-epetitions

Not sure where you get the idea that it doesn't bother me. I am in that 5% category and was probably going to get some perenties in the future as either the only species I would keep or possibly along with a couple others. If the laws get through, I will probably stop keeping reptiles. I have not given up and will do as much as I can, I just doubt it will end well.

I still haven't finished reading through the proposal, but will have time to do that next week.

Thanks for posting the info on Petitions Cris, its great to know. It would be a shame to see you and any others leave reptile keeping as I am sure you have so much to offer. There is so much more to learn and private keepers are a huge part of that. Earlier today I was speaking about this issue with a friend who happens to be a Phd qualified professional herpetologist and he pointed out that in the last 30 years the knowledge bank of herpetology, reptile physiology and in particular reproductive physiology has increased exponentially almost entirely as a result of the activities of private keepers and breeders. These proposals if implemented will most definitely slam the brakes on as far as further advances in reptile science is concerned, if only for the fact that people will leave private keeping as you have said you will do. Let's make sure that doesn't happen by uniting and fighting the parts of these proposals that are designed to shut down peoples interests in keeping native animals for what ever reason.

Mark Hawker

Thanks for letting me know. I was not aware of that. The petition I linked was being shared on a WA Facebook group.

I would have a guess and say the group that setup the 3rd party petition probably werent going to use the petition in that way as such. They would probably use it to strengthen their position with the dept in saying look we have over x amount of members we represent and x amount back our position.

I just noticed the link in your post, I have now added it to the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching a YT vid and he was saying they want to change the qld laws to only allow 5 reptiles on your permit and charging $700 for 3yrs for a permit thats up from $70 for 5yrs. I so hope this isnt the case!! Tho its YT so i haven't read to much into it either..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was watching a YT vid and he was saying they want to change the qld laws to only allow 5 reptiles on your permit and charging $700 for 3yrs for a permit thats up from $70 for 5yrs. I so hope this isnt the case!! Tho its YT so i haven't read to much into it either..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That is just hype, the licence is actually only $682.90 for 3 years. All the details are linked in my first post.

White lip and emerald tree monitors are prohibited. There are going to be a few mad breeders that spent big dollars. In general I think it's moving in the right direction. There is a few issues though.

why would BHP's be cat 1, and woma's cat 2? that doesn't make sense to me. And pygmy pythons weren't on the list that I could see.

I filled out the survey, going to look for petitions now.
[doublepost=1528157474,1528153826][/doublepost]email sent to minster, thanks to Cris for the links.

I would imagine it’s because Womas are listed as ‘Endangered’ as BHPs are not. Does seem rather silly however, given how many Womas exist in captivity and how well they do in captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back