HELP ! finding snake . southern highlands N.S.W

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The general activity of dogs and children will discourage any snake, so as long as your children dont follow the example of your cat by tormenting any passing snake all should be fine. Educating the kids will probably be more benefit than attempting to snake proof your yard.

thank you for your help ! lets hope the other 4 cats etc ... dont come across it .

Perhaps keep them indoors???

Exactly... Bet ya the snake dies a slow painful death from the infected area where the cat scratched/bit it.... Aswel as all the other native wildlife the cat has got its thilthy claws onto... :|

Let's not get into the cat debate again people, its already been done to death and I think everyone got the message.

Best advice as others have said, call the snake catcher tomorrow, until then, keep children and animals inside. I hope all goes well and you feel relieved.

with five dogs five cats and 19 ferrets here ... the snake was asking for trouble !

I am not sure if this will help or not and cant say wether it actually works but i saw a snake reppellent in the local pet supply store a couple of weeks ago apparently you just put it around the perimeter of your yard and it stops them comeing in as i said though i couldnt say weather it works or not might be worth looking into though
Scott

Sorry to hear of your sad loss, sudh a sad waste of a lovely animal. I've heard that if you lant geraniums around the property, it deters snakes, that's what they say, and do in the surrounding country areas here where browns are encountered. Hope it helps

personlly i wouldnt point a finger to say it was only a snake that bit your cat...

a funnel web could also have done it.

re venomous snakes

i live in a country area, have browns and carpets around the house. we just leave all be and so far noone has had any trouble. the cat is the most likely to get bitten- because she will hunt them.(small ones) we have budgies, chooks, chicken breeding boxes etc. the above advice is the best , and is what we all shoulld do anyway in country areas- prevention the best way. ie clear up rubbish, keep the grass kept short, and be AWARE of the possibility of a snake when moving things in theyard, or gardening etc.
i practice live and let live... and it has worked well for 14 years so far.
kids do need to be clear about what to do in the event of a snake- but remember the snakes arent out to get us, and would like to be left in peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back