HELP! heat lamp, electricity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intoxicated88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys was just wondering if some one could give me and estimate on the electricity cost for running a 24/7 heatlamp? would help alot im getting my snake soon just need to see how much it will cost in electricity.

Is it on a thermostat? How many watts? Pretty easy to figure out, do a search, lots of info.

It depends on the wattage.
The basic equation for cost per day is wattage/1000*24*cost per kWh from your supplier

i posted something similar to this not long ago. I'm an electricity Nazi and turn everything off when its not in use. My normal bill is around $200 to $250 on average.
Then came the reptiles! :) I run 2 x 100 watt heat lamps 24-7 and 1 x 150 watt. I also have some lights on in the day for the lizards. Any who, my bill jumped to $350 over night. So if mine went up $100 on 3 lamps, then in theory, 1 heat lamp at 100 watts should make your bill creap up by about $30 or so.

you can't have a heat lamp 24/7 without a thermostat i recommend this shop they do cheap but good thermostats one's on sale for $25
herp shop

i got a thermastat it is just really confusing to set up :/

Mate if you have a large enclosure with enough room for the python to regulate its own body heat I wouldn't stress too much about the thermostat. If its too hot it will move to a more appropriate area if you have provided that. In saying that thermostats are definitely recommended for heat mats and cord due to the potential of overheating and the risk of a fire.

100w heat lights most certainly require a thermostat and to suggest other wise is silly. Heat cords are the only thing I suggest that could run no problems without a thermostat.

What kind of thermostat is it? Usually you put the probe where you want to measure the temperature (on the heat spot/basking spot) and plug the heat source into the thermostat, then the thermostat into the power.

i got a thermastat it is just really confusing to set up :/

I got a thermostat, 12 bucks from eBay, new, incl. postage and way too easy to set up...

With one button to access temps' settings and two other buttons (usually with up/down arrows) to lower/raise desired temps. Then press the temp settings button again to registered your temp.

How easy is that?
You won't necessary have to change it, unless you're doing summer and winter temps for breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that reptiles do quite well in the wild without the sun being run on a thermostat. If its too hot they move to a cooler area. As I said if you have a large enough enclosure it will stay in an appropriate area if provided. Although in saying that 100w does give off a lot of heat, so maybe just test and adjust with different globes.

That's a very, very poor argument. Even the "experts" who don't use thermostats with their heat globes don't use 100w globes. Why anyone would think giving such advice to new reptile keepers is a good idea I have no idea :rolleyes:

What sort of thermostat is it? Im sure someone on here will have one if not a number of people and you should be able to get some help setting it up.

That's a very, very poor argument. Even the "experts" who don't use thermostats with their heat globes don't use 100w globes. Why anyone would think giving such advice to new reptile keepers is a good idea I have no idea :rolleyes:

Yeah that would be why I said it seems like quite a lot of heat so to test and adjust with a smaller globe. And what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back