HELP! heat lamp, electricity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that would be why I said it seems like quite a lot of heat so to test and adjust with a smaller globe. And what?

He's using a 100w bulb in a small, confined space with very little room for his reptiles "to move out of the sun." In the wild they have the ability to move underground, under objects that don't permeate, conduct or contain heat, and aren't exposed to ambient temps greater than 50'C. The comparison was illogical and dangerous to new keepers who assume or don't know the temperatures those bulbs are capable of reaching. Before suggesting such an anology, you should perhaps rethink your choice of words.

That's what she meant.

Just curious OP, but what prompted you to look for a 100W bulb for your enclosure? I find that anything less than 60W creates a very comfortable temperature gradient for my pythons (all of which have thermostats.)

Last edited:
He's using a 100w bulb in a small, confined space with very little room for his reptiles "to move out of the sun." In the wild they have the ability to move underground, under objects that don't permiate or contain heat, and aren't exposed to ambient temps greater than 50'C. The comparison was illogical and dangerous to new keepers who assume or don't know the temperatures those bulbs are capable of reaching. Before suggesting such an anology, you should perhaps rethink your choice of words.

That's what she meant.

Sorry I missed the part where he said it was a confined space and his reptile would have very little room to move. He must have pmed that extra info to you. If you take a second and get off your high horse you can read how I said if you provide a large enough enclosure for you snake to thermo regulate and a place to escape the heat he doesn't need to stress. In a large in closure funny enough they also have the "ability to move" fancy that.

Sorry I missed the part where he said it was a confined space and his reptile would have very little room to move. He must have pmed that extra info to you. If you take a second and get off your high horse you can read how I said if you provide a large enough enclosure for you snake to thermo regulate and a place to escape the heat he doesn't need to stress. In a large in closure funny enough they also have the "ability to move" fancy that.

You're comparing the wild to an enclosure. You also don't seem to understand the concept of ambient and gradient temperatures. There in is the problem we had with your post. I was clarifying and explaining why it was wrong to do so on Note's behalf. No need to get snippy :p

Wild =/= enclosure.

Sun =/= 100W bulb in close quarters.

OP, if you're with Origin, I'd strongly suggest switching providers if you're going to be running it 24/7 (which I hope you won't be.) Their price hikes have taken effect and your bill will probably scare the pants off you.

Last edited:
You're comparing the wild to an enclosure. There in is the problem we had with your post. I was clarifying and explaining why it was wrong to do so on Note's behalf. No need to get snippy :p

Don't we try to replicate their enclosures to "the wild". Or is that just me?

Must be one big enclosure to escape the heat from a 100w globe. A typical enclosure for a spotted python (even an adult) isn't big enough. I'm sorry, but putting some logic into posts isn't really that hard.

Must be one big enclosure to escape the heat from a 100w globe. A typical enclosure for a spotted python (even an adult) isn't big enough. I'm sorry, but putting some logic into posts isn't really that hard.

The OP must have told you the height of his enclosure than? And the distance from the heat source to the basking site.

The OP must have told you the height of his enclosure than? And the distance from the heat source to the basking site.

Mate if you have a large enclosure with enough room for the python to regulate its own body heat I wouldn't stress too much about the thermostat.

Just leave him be. It's obvious he doesn't care about giving out accurate information to new and inexperienced keepers.

Look up any reptile forum and you'll understand why what you're saying in irresponsible. We have a few great threads on here about the dangers of not using a thermostat with any type of heat source (especially one capable of reaching extreme temps.)

Last edited:
Just leave him be. It's obvious he doesn't care about giving out accurate information to new and inexperienced keepers.

Look up any reptile forum and you'll understand why what you're saying in irresponsible. We have a few great threads on here about the dangers of not using a thermostat with any type of heat source.

And you will find the majority are with heat mats. If a globe over heats it will blow.

Don't know how my reptiles ever survived so long without your responsible advice.

Last edited:
Don't know how my reptiles ever survived so long without your responsible advice.

By luck, obviously. You have five people in the thread telling OP to get a thermostat, and you arguing the "she'll be right" angle despite the fact a 100W bulb will reach 250'C before "blowing."

I'm responsible because I actually give a damn about my animals, but I'm obviously the one in the wrong.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Something about arguing with trolls (or was it idiots?) over the internet. Let's hope the OP (and other newbies around) has access to some actual logic in this regard ;)

By luck, obviously. You have five people in the thread telling OP to get a thermostat, and you arguing the "she'll be right" angle despite the fact a 100W bulb will reach 250'C before "blowing."

I'm responsible because I actually give a damn about my animals, but I'm obviously the one in the wrong.

I really shouldn't bother..... Although lets take a walk in the past. My original post was, IF IT CAN ESCAPE THE HEAT AND THERMO REGULATE IT'S OWN BODY TEMP BY MOVING AROUND, AND YOU HAVE PROVIDED THAT SPACE THEN THEIR IS NO NEED TO STRESS. If it can escape the max heat and find a comfortable basking spot as well as a cool spot, what's the problem?

I really shouldn't bother..... Although lets take a walk in the past. My original post was, IF IT CAN ESCAPE THE HEAT AND THERMO REGULATE IT'S OWN BODY TEMP BY MOVING AROUND, AND YOU HAVE PROVIDED THAT SPACE THEN THEIR IS NO NEED TO STRESS. If it can escape the max heat and find a comfortable basking spot as well as a cool spot, what's the problem?

If you haven't gotten it by now, then there really is no hope :lol: (Caps lock is cruise control for cool, right?)

:rolleyes: Something about arguing with trolls (or was it idiots?) over the internet. Let's hope the OP (and other newbies around) has access to some actual logic in this regard ;)

Is a person who asks a question you can't answer automatically a troll these days? I've offered advice that has worked fine for me for the past 10 years. There were definitely no bad intentions although you have taken it upon yourself to turn this into some type of witch hunt.

I take it logical post are done for the night then.

They died the moment you compared an enclosure to the vast, open kilometers of the Australian landscape.

I would have thought you could create a suitable temp gradient in a 4ft enclosure. Obviously you know best., for whatever reason you believe.

I have a 100w basking globe without a thermostat on my 4x2x2 foot water dragon enclosure and I have never had any problems at all, and due to the setup of my enclosure, they always have a place to get out of the heat, I can post photo's of the setup if you don't believe they can get out of the heat.

I have a 100w basking globe without a thermostat on my 4x2x2 foot water dragon enclosure and I have never had any problems at all, and due to the setup of my enclosure, they always have a place to get out of the heat, I can post photo's of the setup if you don't believe they can get out of the heat.

You don't have a high enough post count mate to be believable. Maybe start a "name my python" thread for a bit of credibility. Lol

Last edited:
lol i got a cheap thermostat of ebay i plan on using it, but i just need a ferm pricing on the electricity other wise i cant get my snake :/

lol i got a cheap thermostat of ebay i plan on using it, but i just need a ferm pricing on the electricity other wise i cant get my snake :/

The equation I gave you on page one will let you work out the typical cost of anything. You can even change the 24 to whatever you want to see what it would cost to only run something for part of the day. It's not rocket surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back