HELP! heat lamp, electricity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The safest thing is to buy a heat light with a wattage that roughly reaches the desired temperatures, as long as the animal can move out of the way.

I'd rather run a 40w bulb with no thermostat, than run a 100-150w bulb with a thermostat and then have it fail - you will cook your snake!

We heat ALL enclosures up to 6 foot in length with nothing more than 25watt globes, If you know what your doing this will provide all the heat
a reptile will need without the problem of over heating. We can get hot spots of 40+dg with no probs at all!
I have a personal hate for high wattage globes/heat emmiters, not are they totally unneccesary but are dangerous to boot.

Last edited:
Given the complete knowledge vacuum that people were making comments in, I am not the least bit surprised that it was approached from different directions. Mike and Crystal, the initial comments each of you made were valid and worthwhile in the context you made them. That context varies because there was virtually zero information provided by the OP.

The OP did not state the species of snake, the size of the snake, the dimensions of the enclosure, the materials of which it is made, the amount and positioning of ventilation, the internal environment provided, the positioning of the heat lamp in relation to this, where the enclosure is to be sited and the likely ambient external temperatures surrounding it etc. Even with all that, the thermodynamics of any given enclosure can still vary significantly.

It is apparent we have a soon-to-be novice keeper who is lacking in a understanding of what is required to meet the needs of a pet snake. Without knowing any other details, I can only recommend that the OP purchase a copy of John Weigel’s book “Care of Australian reptiles in captivity” ($20) and have a read through Simone Stone’s articles Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles, BEFORE you purchase your snake. If you are seriously interested in keeping snakes, then you will want to do it properly and the above will can help you achieve that. Then if you still have questions, you can ask them here.

I wish well,
Blue

Okay, I'm a newbie (or whatever you want to call us) and here's a story that happened to me in the last few Months!

Purchased a thermostat for $60 off eBay from Reptile direct about a month ago and it's failed me on the 3 separate occasions I've tried to use it.

Since I've purchased it I've been told a few different stories on how to use it and set it up etc from people on here who obviously think and claim that they're experts but Ive realised have no idea what they're doing after seeking professional advice...

Now because I'm using a heat source that emits light I've only just found out that I have the wrong thermostat and I should be using a dimming thermostat not an on/off version. I wish someone had told me this before I went ahead and bought it. So there's something to think about to the person who originally lost this thread..

Anyway, so instead I've just been running a 100W night bulb without a thermostat in a 4 FT enclosure for about 2 months now while I sort out my thermostat problem and my temps have been terribly low due to the fact I'm trying to heat such a large space with only 1 heat source I guess. But in saying this I wouldn't run the 100W in anything smaller than a 3FT without the thermostat at all. At least with the 4FT it had enough ventilation to not catch fire. Aside from that no drama in the over heating department the only thing is it blew on me Tuesday night for no apparent reason. Could have over heated or somethIng, I'm not too sure.

So the next day I head over to the pet shop and buy a 150W bulb thinking 'yeah this will be great, much more effective in a bigger enclosure, maybe I can find a way to use the thermostat with it and I'll have happy days!'

Well. The thermostat once again failed me so decided to let the bulb run on its own for a little bit while monitoring it having no idea about the amount of heat 150W bulb was capable of!! The 150W bulb was reaching temperatures over 50 degrees when I checked it in under 30 minutes! If I had left it without a thermostat it would have cooked my shake and possibly set my house on fire and trust me that is not fun! It's happened to me before with a faulty power point!

So even though this is my first snake and I shouldn't be giving advice as such, I just want to say that there is a lot of different information on here and if I had just listened to the person who said 'she'll be right' I'd probably have a cooked snake and another house fire on my hands!

Now from the common sense and educated side of my brain, using a high temperature heat source in a small space without a thermostat to control and maintain a safe temperature.. What a stupid, STUPID idea in general. Why don't you just tell people to light a little camp fire in there! Should do the same job right?

Lol.

So my advice is if you're running a light emitting bulb or a ceramic heater that is 100W or greater in a smaller space than a 4FT enclosure than buy a habistat dimming thermostat. I have read on here and on the website that they are the actual proper thermostat to be using with these type of heat sources! They also expand the life of your light bulb and because they are 'dimming' thermostats they won't turn your heat light on and off all the time causing unnecessary stress to the reptile and annoyance of flickering lights to you! Now I wish someone had told me this before!!!!!
I'll post a link to the one I'm in the process of buying. It's a little expensive but I've already tried the cheap one and I've learnt the hard way!

The Herp Shop - Australia

Look for dimming thermostat!! Down the bottom!

Also in the future it might be a better idea to be a little more informative about your situation such as your set up, types of animal etc to prevent the earful of arguments I just read lol.

Anyway. That's my informative and non argumental piece =)

P.s

I just googled an electricty cost calculator like this one here and it worked out well for me!!

Electricity Cost Calculator

Last edited:
Dodging the arguments...

I have two reptiles, each with a 50 watt heat globe. My snakey does have a thermostat but my beardie is in a bigger tank so she does fine without one. Being winter the temperatures don't exeed the recommended temperatures, so the bulbs are basically on 24/7. To answer your question, this hasn't affected Mum's electricity bill. I do pay her rent, electricty, etc. but having the globes and UV light has hardly made a difference. :)

Now because I'm using a heat source that emits light I've only just found out that I have the wrong thermostat and I should be using a dimming thermostat not an on/off version. I wish someone had told me this before I went ahead and bought it. So there's something to think about to the person who originally lost this thread..

If you're saying that on/off thermostats won't work with heat lights, that is completely wrong. I'm currently using on/off thermostats that are 15 years old (been in storage for the last 10) with 50w IR globes without any issues since March, with only one blown globe (was a different brand that blew after 2 weeks - I won't be using that brand again).

Yes, people say dimming thermostats are better, make the globes last longer, etc. 15 years ago these weren't available to me, at least not to my knowledge, and as the on/off are serving their purpose at the moment I am happy. Of course, when I start to expand I will be going with Habistat PP or dimming - Haven't decided yet.

In regard to the rest of your comments, it sounds like you're on the right track now, finally. :) Happy herping.

Since I've purchased it I've been told a few different stories on how to use it and set it up etc from people on here who obviously think and claim that they're experts but Ive realised have no idea what they're doing after seeking professional advice...

Now because I'm using a heat source that emits light I've only just found out that I have the wrong thermostat and I should be using a dimming thermostat not an on/off version. I wish someone had told me this before I went ahead and bought it.

That was taken from this thread.....

Well I paid $60 and I intend on getting my money back and never trusting eBay again. The thing is horrible! It heats my mat up to the setting I want and than starts beeping at me and continues to heat it to a further 5 degrees while still constantly beeping at me! and it will do this non stop! Doesn't sound right does it? Not to mention my enclosure is in my room so when I'm trying to sleep I have to shut it off so I'll be sending it back.

That was taken from your original thermostat thread.....

Excuse me?? Last I checked heat mats don’t emit light...
I offered advice as I use the same thermostat with a ceramic heat globe and had issues setting mine up as the instructions mine came with were wrong. After a few PMs with you I ran through all the settings I have in mine trying to help you out.

I find this just plain rude, having the same thermostat by no means makes me an expert but I was trying to help. Perhaps next time I just shouldn’t waste my time.

I didn’t reply to this straight away as I don’t like arguing with people but seriously, have some manners we were trying to help you and this is the thanks we get?

I've never had any problems with thermostats. All I can say is do heaps of online research before buying a product. Buying an on off thermostat instead of a dimming? You only have yourself to blame. Buying a crap one off eBay instead of a reputable brand? Again you only have yourself to blame. I don't think you'd be entitled to a refund.

Mike2693 no idea what you are on about? Crystal discus knows her stuff and gives good advice.

if you run around the house like a freak turning the lights out and eat dinner in the dark it should keep the bill in bay

Okay, I'm a newbie (or whatever you want to call us) and here's a story that happened to me in the last few Months!

Purchased a thermostat for $60 off eBay from Reptile direct about a month ago and it's failed me on the 3 separate occasions I've tried to use it.

Anyway, so instead I've just been running a 100W night bulb without a thermostat in a 4 FT enclosure for about 2 months now while I sort out my thermostat problem and my temps have been terribly low due to the fact I'm trying to heat such a large space with only 1 heat source I guess. But in saying this I wouldn't run the 100W in anything smaller than a 3FT without the thermostat at all. At least with the 4FT it had enough ventilation to not catch fire. Aside from that no drama in the over heating department the only thing is it blew on me Tuesday night for no apparent reason. Could have over heated or somethIng, I'm not too sure.

So the next day I head over to the pet shop and buy a 150W bulb thinking 'yeah this will be great, much more effective in a bigger enclosure, maybe I can find a way to use the thermostat with it and I'll have happy days!'

Well. The thermostat once again failed me so decided to let the bulb run on its own for a little bit while monitoring it having no idea about the amount of heat 150W bulb was capable of!! The 150W bulb was reaching temperatures over 50 degrees when I checked it in under 30 minutes! If I had left it without a thermostat it would have cooked my shake and possibly set my house on fire and trust me that is not fun! It's happened to me before with a faulty power point!

So even though this is my first snake and I shouldn't be giving advice as such, I just want to say that there is a lot of different information on here and if I had just listened to the person who said 'she'll be right' I'd probably have a cooked snake and another house fire on my hands!

Now from the common sense and educated side of my brain, using a high temperature heat source in a small space without a thermostat to control and maintain a safe temperature.. What a stupid, STUPID idea in general. Why don't you just tell people to light a little camp fire in there! Should do the same job right?

Lol.

So my advice is if you're running a light emitting bulb or a ceramic heater that is 100W or greater in a smaller space than a 4FT enclosure than buy a habistat dimming thermostat. I have read on here and on the website that they are the actual proper thermostat to be using with these type of heat sources! They also expand the life of your light bulb and because they are 'dimming' thermostats they won't turn your heat light on and off all the time causing unnecessary stress to the reptile and annoyance of flickering lights to you! Now I wish someone had told me this before!!!!!
I'll post a link to the one I'm in the process of buying. It's a little expensive but I've already tried the cheap one and I've learnt the hard way!

The Herp Shop - Australia

Look for dimming thermostat!! Down the bottom!

Also in the future it might be a better idea to be a little more informative about your situation such as your set up, types of animal etc to prevent the earful of arguments I just read lol.

Anyway. That's my informative and non argumental piece =)

P.s

I just googled an electricty cost calculator like this one here and it worked out well for me!!

Electricity Cost Calculator

^^ Thats a Big quote

Last edited:
I've never had any problems with thermostats. All I can say is do heaps of online research before buying a product...

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
thank you every one for all the replies im sure this thread has not just helped me out but alot of other's thank you to every one.

That was taken from this thread.....

That was taken from your original thermostat thread.....

Excuse me?? Last I checked heat mats don’t emit light...
I offered advice as I use the same thermostat with a ceramic heat globe and had issues setting mine up as the instructions mine came with were wrong. After a few PMs with you I ran through all the settings I have in mine trying to help you out.

I find this just plain rude, having the same thermostat by no means makes me an expert but I was trying to help. Perhaps next time I just shouldn’t waste my time.

I didn’t reply to this straight away as I don’t like arguing with people but seriously, have some manners we were trying to help you and this is the thanks we get?

If this is true then I'm shocked. Its no wonder newbies cop it on here, with the thanks you get.

hey guys was just wondering if some one could give me and estimate on the electricity cost for running a 24/7 heatlamp? would help alot im getting my snake soon just need to see how much it will cost in electricity.

Sax gave you the formula for calculation....

Since everybody seems to be focused on the thermostat question....

Meanwhile... 24/7 heat lamp not a good thing, a photoperiod is advisable. 24/7 heat source (non light emitting) better and plausible depending on the set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back