help i.d.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squishi

Reaction score
hi there,
i just had a friend call me up she lives in rockhampton qld which is an hour away from me.
she has a snake hanging around her pool she can't send me a picture but has given me a good description.
it is a small snake about 30cm with a smooth head black with a yellow belly and a orange ring around its head.
i asked if it is a real one and she said it slithered to the bush as soon as she walked out.
i am usually good at identifying pythons however all other snakes are on my unknoen list.
any ideas?

could be any type of snake , colour alone isnt a 100% ID ...tell her to treat it with utter respect and if she wants it gone call a catcher ..

Couldn't say exactly but i'll put money on it being an elapid most likely a young eastern brown.

i told her to call a catcher because my guess was it was venomous

it is most probably a red naped snake (furina diadema) shy inoffensive little elapid.

cheers HK.

thanks mate i will let you know if you were right when i find out but it matches everything she has told me except locality but snakes have roamed before they are local to brissy rocky is a 6 hour travel but the little one could have hitched a ride.

young elapid... you browns often have markings ... but naped snake is also a possiability

thanks mate i will let you know if you were right when i find out but it matches everything she has told me except locality but snakes have roamed before they are local to brissy rocky is a 6 hour travel but the little one could have hitched a ride.

Red naped snakes are quite common around the Rockhampton / Dingo area's, i've found many there myself ;)

yep yep it was a red naped.
i also recieved a phone call this arvo from someone in yeppoon who has a snake in his house and he was wondering if it was dangerous. i am completly clueless on this one as well but this one is too hard to pick.
the only info i got is,
the sanke is black with yellow dots very slim head and is just over a meter long and very skinny.
he said he knows most of his pythons and it is definatly not a carpet, diamond, port mac childrens or anyhing like that.
i told him either call a catcher which is the best opion or trap it with a heat spot or feed spot to move it himsef.
he saw it around about a month ago and it took off rather quick and hen last night it decided to slither past his foot while he was on he computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back