HELP!!! i just found a baby magpie, fallen from his nest!!!i

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is he a grey currawong or a pied currawong? most likely pied but ive never seen a baby currawong so i dont know how to tell the difference between the two.

So is he a grey currawong or a pied currawong? most likely pied but ive never seen a baby currawong so i dont know how to tell the difference between the two.

um no idea lol. pied would mean that it had white on its head wouldnt it? looking at google i'd saY he's a pied, but i dont know anything about birds.

he just wolfed down half a hopper rat. very happy with that.

Last edited:
Can u see any white on him, under his tail area and the tips of the wings?
Glad he ate for u :)

Last edited:
Id say he's a pied, my fav currawong species :)

Yeh its best to let him sleep, just cover the basket with a towel, make sure it cant be knocked off and put him in a quiet/warm place for the night. prob just under ur bed maybe? so u can keep an eye on him.

I'm a wildlife carer of parrots but I will give u some advise to get u through the night and I will pm you when I can get to a computer. Get some mince and put it on skuers and feed it to it. This is what you feed all birds of pray when they come into care but we also use Insectivor mashed in with it. Legally u can't keep it and raise it up so I won't advise that. A baby that young wouldn't be eating mice yet so that's why mince is the best.

Id say he's a pied, my fav currawong species :)

Yeh its best to let him sleep, just cover the basket with a towel, make sure it cant be knocked off and put him in a quiet/warm place for the night. prob just under ur bed maybe? so u can keep an eye on him.

there is no "under" my bed, lol, plus the little yap yap running around. lol. i will put him in the spare room.

once the storm is past stick him back out where you found him, currawongs are a family group they will find him and look after him, if you raise it and then let it out it will be in their territory and they will flog it and probably kill it

How did you go Sezzzzzzzz?

Look forward to hearing the progress and how you go making a 'makeshift nest'

hey jedi. He went really well over night and is alot more lively this morning, so glad i didn't put the poor little thing in his make shift nest last night because it was windy and rainy last night.

one of the ladies that replied to the thread yesterday is a carer for birds and she gave me some more advice too, which was very helpful.

She haS her concerns over the bucket method as the bird is so young so i'm waiting to hear back from a wildlife carer that is a member on here and hopefully she'll be able to come and get him or help me set up the bucket depending on her opinion.

i would love to look after him myself, but as i am not licensed to do so, its not an option. but i think i may have found my calling and may have to do whatever is necessary to become a carer.

hey jedi. He went really well over night and is alot more lively this morning, so glad i didn't put the poor little thing in his make shift nest last night because it was windy and rainy last night.

one of the ladies that replied to the thread yesterday is a carer for birds and she gave me some more advice too, which was very helpful.

She haS her concerns over the bucket method as the bird is so young so i'm waiting to hear back from a wildlife carer that is a member on here and hopefully she'll be able to come and get him or help me set up the bucket depending on her opinion.

i would love to look after him myself, but as i am not licensed to do so, its not an option. but i think i may have found my calling and may have to do whatever is necessary to become a carer.

Good to hear he went well, and that you've found yourself a passion.

In terms of the bucket, it acts as a makeshift nest, unless the adult bird has booted the baby out for health reasons the adults will come down and feed and protect the young, I've witnessed them sitting on young birds at night in a bucket to keep them warm.

I will try not to say anything too disparaging about wildlife carers as they perform a very important role and they do act out of the goodness of their own heart, however sometimes they have to be realistic. There should be no reason for this currawong to go into care unless the adult stops feeding it and if the carer states otherwise then it's a very selfish motivation.

Just my thoughts on the issue

Good to hear he went well, and that you've found yourself a passion.

In terms of the bucket, it acts as a makeshift nest, unless the adult bird has booted the baby out for health reasons the adults will come down and feed and protect the young, I've witnessed them sitting on young birds at night in a bucket to keep them warm.

I will try not to say anything too disparaging about wildlife carers as they perform a very important role and they do act out of the goodness of their own heart, however sometimes they have to be realistic. There should be no reason for this currawong to go into care unless the adult stops feeding it and if the carer states otherwise then it's a very selfish motivation.

Just my thoughts on the issue

i have decided to try the bucket out because after contacting wires (no response) and another carer group here who had no idea what a currawong was, i feel like its the only viable option at this point.

Mr wong, as Tilly has named him, just had another bit of rat and 10mls of water and hubby is out getting the bucket ready as i type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back