Help; Issues with carpet tail.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbed_wire_dove

Reaction score
Heya.

My brothers girlfriend has a young carpet, and asked me a really odd question im not sure how to answer. I havent seen the snake, as she lives a few hours away from me but I figure someone here might have seen it before and may be able to offer some advice.

The snake was comming up for a shed, and she noticed his tail just under his cloaca area was thick/swollen.
So she left him alone and he started his shed etc, but ended up shedding really badly and she had to give him a warm tub and a hand getting the leftover skin off. This was all well and good and she got the skin off with no trouble. But now the lump is gone and the length between his cloaca and the tip of his tail is almost doubled and hes not using it as much as he usually would + parts of it are red and raw looking.

Shes a bit worried. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

246944_125570494192436_100002184583240_204709_4741352_n.jpg252934_125570374192448_100002184583240_204704_2298570_n.jpg

It may have just needed to defecate, that's what the lump was. Crap :)

As for the tail, it may have had a retained shed from last time and that was removed this time when she helped it shed, peeling the skin away, leaving it red and raw. That or it was this shed and manually helping it with her nails etc to try and peel it off has left it raw. Have to try and keep it clean and maybe a little Betadine on it to prevent infection. ( though it may be already with the swelling).

What are the two pics? The colour pattern on the tail of each is not the same, even allowing for a view of opposite sides – so it appears to be two different snakes.

A poor shed is indicative of an underlying problem. Insufficient humidity and dehydration of the animal are the most common reason for poor sheds. However, skin conditions such as dermatitis, bacterial infections of the skin, malnutrition, unhealed lesions, presence of mite and excessive stress can also be responsible.

The tail just under the cloaca being thick and swollen indicates an unpassed stool. I am assuming she is referring to the area forward (anterior) of the vent. It sounds like the animal was probably constipated as a result of insufficient hydration. The bath would have helped to soften the stool sufficiently for it to be passed. Check it with her.

As for the tail shortening and lengthening – it is primarily muscle. It can contract to about 2/3 of its normal length. If the snake was in a lot of pain as a result of the constipation and then the difficult shed, the muscles of the tail could have gone into spasm and then relaxed completely afterwards.

Check on the consistency of recent bowel movements. Were they hard or firm and dry or at least lacking any visible moisture. This would confirm constipation.

If she did not force the skin off the tail, then the red areas must be due to a pre-existing condition and your vet friend can work that out. Continue to follow the excellent advice already given with respect to that. If using Bettadine, it needs to be a very dilute solution - the vet friend is better placed to help out with antiseptic use.

Blue

What are the two pics? The colour pattern on the tail of each is not the same, even allowing for a view of opposite sides – so it appears to be two different snakes.

It's the same snake in the 2 pics. The second pic is just zoomed in and taken from the left side.

Thanks Blue.
For the moment, shes left her little snake with her vet friend, so he can keep an eye on her (while shes away seeing her mum in hospital).
But when shes back, ill discuss these things with her and check out the enclosure shes keeping her in etc and make sure everything in that area is all good.
Will post back up later with a progress report :)

Do you have an update on this snakes tail? My diamond had a bad shed and her tail looks a little bit like this also. I have taken her to a vet, although not a reptile vet because we don't have any here, and she wasn't 100% sure. Did it heal on your brothers girlfriends snake?

Looks to me like retained shed on the tip of the tail. One of my snakes had this when quite young and the tip of the tail eventually died and had to be removed by a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back