Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
So since the weather has started to cool I've noticed a surprising number of these threads. I'd like to propose that we make a thread with some basic information (that could maybe be made a sticky) which can be the first point of call for anyone before they make a new thread.
I'll start. Please feel free to add any info you think is relevant.
First thing is to stop worrying. Snakes will go for months without eating in the wild and even a young snake can go for quite a long time without issues.
Have you just obtained the animal? For most inexperienced keepers, new snakes should be given a minimum of two weeks to settle into their new home before being offered food. Give it time to get used to it's surroundings and become comfortable.
Is the animal in shed? Lots of people have snakes that feed during the shed cycle with no issues but some just won't take any during this time.
Next thing (and probably the biggest) is checking temperatures. What is your hot end temp? Anything less than 27-28 is too low for most snakes and won't provide them with the right conditions to digest their food. Even if you are getting a reasonable hot end temp it may not be staying that warm for long enough (in the case of snakes housed in garages and sheds, ambient temps can play havoc with this).
What time of year is it? Many snakes can sense environmental changes (not only temp) that signal the cool season is coming. It seems this is most prevalent in Antaresia species. In this case, you may have perfect temps but just have a snake that doesn't want to eat. For anything over about a year old this isn't a big issue. You can continue offering food on a weekly/fortnightly basis or you can just lower your enclosure temp and let them brumate until spring.
An important note is that if your snake refuses a feed, don't bother offering another item the next day. Leave it at least a week. If stress is a reason for it not eating then all you are going to do is stress it more by sticking a rat or mouse in it's face every day.
Lastly - STOP WORRYING. Unless you have a very unhealthy snake you have very little to be concerned with if it hasn't eaten for a month.
I'm no expert by any means but these are the main issues I've noticed. Like I said please feel free to add anything you feel I've left out. Hopefully this will be useful for some new keepers in the future.

Dan

I thought it was odd that you started a thread about eating :p
makes sense now!

Good one Dan..
This would be a good sticky and hopefully the first of a few sticky's that cover the newbie basics.
How big does it grow? What temps for hatchie-adult? different causes for RI's? Symptoms for RI's? How big should food be? How often to feed? How often to shed? list goes on......

Should definitely make this a sticky, good work Dan.

However, it is very rare for anyone to actually use the search function it seems. If they did, they would find threads relating to their questions/issues that have been resolved many times...

Dan I totally agree.
I did used to worry about this little matter, but as I got more educated with experience, I realised that this is just a part of thier cycle that we still do not realy fully understand.
I have had mature males go through winter & breeding without eating at all for 5 to 6 months even though I offered food on several occasions. I had a hatchie the other day that started eating after 2 months of no food when all the others had had several feeds, he is now making up for lost time. I have heard of a hatchie Diamond going for 9 months before eating.

I think that we stress ourselves too much as young herpers.

Cheers
Ian.

Nice Sax!
I hate those threads haha.
One thing I got taught when I was little about most animals
Is they are not made from glass!

Jannico,
I might be dumb, but what has glass got to do with it, what do you mean?

Cheers
Ian.

It's a metaphor, meaning they are not fragile/weak. Reptiles are very hardy animals.

Good one Dan.

I've had a little panic button moment when my bredli girl refused food for the first time so I can identify with people being upset when their animals don't eat.
This thread really should be a sticky.

He means they aren't fragile and easily breakable.
Thanks for the kind responses guys. I just figured it might help even if people have to direct them to this thread rather than spending ages every time explaining the same thing

Sorry Janico & thankyou, I was looking at it the wrong way, but I now see clearly through the glass.
Cheers
Ian

Sorry Janico & thankyou, I was looking at it the wrong way, but I now see clearly through the glass.
Cheers
Ian

Usually by the time I can see through the glass it’s no longer clearly!

Please feel free to add any info you think is relevant.

Dan

[FONT=&quot]Reasons why snakes won’t eat[/FONT]

Most heavily gravid females will not eat until after laying or giving birth. Death Adders are the exception and will often continue to feed right up until they give birth.

In many species, sexually active males will not eat during the breeding season (as happened with Ian).

Animals that are feeling stressed will often go off their food. So make sure your husbandry is meeting your animal’s requirements.

Animals that are unwell will also often refuse food. So check that your animal is in good health.

Neonates vary in their individual characters and as to how they prefer to have their food presented. So try different methods and observe the snake’s reaction, to find what it prefers.

It is not unusual for neonates to go up to 3 or 4 months before feeding. Simply persevere and keep offering food.

Cool conditions can sometimes cause snakes to go off their food as they are not active & don't require as much. When conditions warm up or heat is increased they should return to normal activity.

I was a little concerned when my Stimson python went off his food for about 4 weeks. I just replaced the heat mat with a 150w ceramic which fixed the problem.. He definitely went off his food as the temp started to drop here.. The *surface* temp where the heat mat was remained fine (32-33), but the ambient temperature through the whole enclosure had dropped, hence why I changed to a ceramic globe with cage.

Haha nice one Saximus! I was going to start a thread today with basic things you should try when your snake is refusing to eat. I'll just add my 2 cents here rather than creating a new thread.

Many people experience that their newly purchased python is not eating, however it was feeding well with the breeder/previous owner. If this is you, then firstly.. relaaaaaaaaaaax ;). Take a deeeeeep breath. Now that you're calm and settled :p, here are a few basic starting tips that may be able to help:

1. Have you provided your snake with the basic husbandry requirements:
- Is your heating adequate? There should be a warm end, and a cool end. A rough guide would be to have your warm end at 34 - 36 (don't freak out if yours is slightly higher or lower, the range differs for different snakes, but this is a general range).
- Have you provided hides for your snake? I usually place one at the warm end, and one at the cool end. Your new python needs a place where they feel secure and don't have eyes constantly on them.
- What is the size of your enclosure? Hatchlings should be kept in smaller enclosures (I keep mine in click-clacks) to avoid causing them stress. Each individual animal is different and some may be perfectly fine in a large enclosure, but as a general rule I would suggest increasing the size of the habitat with the growth of your snake.
- Where is your enclosure? For new snakes, I leave them in a room there isn't constant activity/noise. If this is not possible, try and cover the enclosure so your snake doesn't feel like it is out in the open constantly.
- If it isn't eating, stop handling it. The temptation of handling your new snake is immense, however if they are not eating, I would refrain from handling until they are eating well.

2. If you are satisfied that you have provided all of the above and your snake still is not eating, there are a few techniques that can be tried. (I should also mention that if you snake is refusing to eat, stop offering it food every day to try and get it to eat! Leave a few days in between attempts - I usually wait a week):
- Wriggle the food item: I had a python that wouldn't eat unless I moved the mouse around (dragging by its tail, wriggling, etc). However, if you have already tried this and the snake is not eating, you will only stress it out further if you keep sticking the food in its face.
- Yolking: I don't know why this works, but this has worked for me personally. After you have defrosted the food item (defrosting techniques also vary but I won't get into that here), dip the food into slightly warmed egg yolk (yellow and white) and then offer the food.
- Braining: I have not tried this personally as the first two techniques above have always worked for me. Pierce a small hole in the cranium of the mouse/rat and gently squeeze the head. This will release fluid from the brain which will provide additional scent and will hopefully get a feeding response once you offer the food after braining.
- Food size: Check with the breeder/previous owner what size the snake was eating and try offering the same.
- Food type: If the snake was eating mice, try feeding mice rather than trying to switch to rats in the first instance. Once your new snake is feeding for you, then try the switch.

Please DO NOT attempt force-feeding yourself if you have no experience. Try the above techniques first (plus others that are mentioned in this thread and other threads). If nothing is working and your snake looks like it is loosing health, ask an experienced person to help you. There are plenty on this site, and I am sure they would be able to help.

I have rambled on long enough, however there is so much more to be said. Remember that snakes are individuals, what works for one may not work for another, but your snake WILL eventually eat. Good luck peeps and happy feeding! :D

Ossam

Haha thanks nice addition Ossam. If this doesnt get turned into a sticky I'm going to be bookmarking it for future reference when people start these threads

Good info so far.

Just PM Fay or Colin re making this thread a sticky, Dan.

I think we all have had moments of worry when our reptiles dont eat and it does get stressful when ur a new owner. But usually with a lil patience, perserverance and forums like this one to read, it does makes it easier not 2 worry. Good idea making this a sticky :)

Thanks for this thread. It's put my mind at ease.
Got a stimmy and she's stopped eating since late april, start of may.
Heat cord under and above her hot end, keeps her hot end hide around 34°. Cool end, well definately cooler.
So should be fine.

Anyway, she's not 'acting' weird. So I doubt shes sick.

She is definately colder to the touch.

Just wondering whether people still handle regularly through the winter months, or just let them live as is until it warms up again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back