Help!! My Stimmie ate an Asian House Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Matt

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to stop a persistent Kamakazi Asian House Gecko getting into my Stimmie's enclosure. It must have been suicidal as it would keep getting in there.

I busted my Stimmie last night with enough time to see the last half of that Gecko sliding down it's mouth. While I could see the funny side and appreciated the look on my Stimmies face, which read "I've still got it baby", I'm slighlty worried about my Stimmie catching a disease/worms/mites or all of the above.

I've checked the condition of other Geckos around the house and there isn't a sign of mites.

Should I be worried about diseases or am I just too concerned?

It might be an idea to take it to the vet for a faecal sample.
At least you got a free feed for it :D

The worst thing is when they eat an Asian House Gecko, is that they're hungry again half an hour later! :lol:

lol, maybe worm it just incase.

I hope you've filled out the correct Movement Paperwork for the gecko.
Is there a 'Devoured' option in the methods of decreasing your animal count?

Lol@Blackdog

I filled out the form and ticked the box that said "Dine in" and left the "Take-away" section un-filled.

it's the Mcdonalds of the Herp food item world.

i used to have an open top on my spencers monitor cage, and he would quite often pick off the little asian buggers. funny as to watch, they would be in there poaching his left over crickets, and he'd smash em. i just worm the odd fuzzy rat for him, a vet trip is a bit overboard IMO.

Yeah, not necessary - just do a routine worming sometime in the future. If eating natural prey was a problem, or even if a few worms were a problem, we'd have no pythons anywhere in Oz. I'm not saying that we should knowingly keep snakes with internal parasites, but they are a natural part of the gut fauna of most vertebrate animals and can (and usually do) coexist with few problems. Not something to panic about at all. Just worm it sometime in the next few months if you think it's necessary, and remember that any medication used unnecessarily can have adverse side effects, on balance you need to be sure that the cure isn't worse than the illness...
Cheers, Jamie

Id be inclined to give it a dose of flagyl as well as wormout, to kill any populations of bacterial parasites, protozoa, and amoebic infections that virtually all wild animals carry.
pythoninfinte, its not a problem in the wild but can be a major problem in captivity as a lot of parasites and worms have a direct life cycle so in captivity they will constantly keep reinfecting themselves so that the flora count is way out of control and will cause harm even death to your reptile.
In the wild this is not as much of a problem as they can poo and move on, in captivity when they poo they have a much larger chance to come back in contact with it.

You're right there Trueblue, and the stresses associated with captivity don't help either, often skewing things against the reptile. Having said that though, I know of a few people who feed roadkill to their bhps etc and who don't seem to have any trouble. Wouldn't do it myself though...

Cheers, J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back