Help needed for my Snake Rack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_do

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently built my snake rack.
I'm using 44 l tubs ( 480 L, 300 W, 280 D), they are a bit high than usual just so that snakes can have a pearch to climb on.
Ive routed the heat cord in the melamine wood base, 60w reptile one heat cord.
But I'm unable to get the ambient temperature more than 20 degrees Celsius.
Can someone give an idea to help raise the temperature.
Pic attached for reference
bec557e3c5bd425d837fcdd75fc81bc2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Looks a bit too open causing draft to come from all sides, pretty sure racks should be enclosed on the sides to keep the heat in somewhat, aswell as heat cord should be in the back so the snake will be more covered.

Also can’t help but notice there’s no holes in the tubs? Is this still a WIP?

Hey mate personally i wouldnt be to worried about ambient temp , more on getting a good spot ! My racks are they same atm because of how cold it is only thing you can do is heat the whole room up with a heater or aircon etc. But like i said i wouldn worry if you are getting a good hot spot where your cord is like around 30-35 depending on whst you are keeping

Hey mate personally i wouldnt be to worried about ambient temp , more on getting a good spot ! My racks are they same atm because of how cold it is only thing you can do is heat the whole room up with a heater or aircon etc. But like i said i wouldn worry if you are getting a good hot spot where your cord is like around 30-35 depending on whst you are keeping
What he said.

I have a rack very similar to this and have taped the thermostat sensor to a tile next to the tubs. That way it will be still be controlling it properly. Get yourself an IR thermometer and experiment with thermostat settings until you get the right temps on the inside surface of the tubs and you're golden.

Looks a bit too open causing draft to come from all sides, pretty sure racks should be enclosed on the sides to keep the heat in somewhat, aswell as heat cord should be in the back so the snake will be more covered.

Also can’t help but notice there’s no holes in the tubs? Is this still a WIP?
The heat cord is in the back, it's just that the photo is not taken from the front.
Tubs do have holes, just not in the back, just experimenting with different options.

But if the ambient temp is low like 20 degrees, does it posses a risk of respiratory infections ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The most important part is that you have a 30+ hotspot

Cool end temperatures are not as important as it’s just so they have a spot to escape the hot spot

It will be hard to get ambient temps above 20 as it’s the middle of winter and ambient outside temps are like 10

Cool end temperatures are not as important as it’s just so they have a spot to escape the hot spot

It will be hard to get ambient temps above 20 as it’s the middle of winter and ambient outside temps are like 10
Thank you mate

But if the ambient temp is low like 20 degrees, does it posses a risk of respiratory infections ?

No mate not if they have acess to a hotspot , 20 isnt really that low anyway . Most species would be subject to lower nighttime temps of that in the wild. I have a few jungles im cooling atm and they are getting down to about 13 at night and are absolutely fine . Bottom line is forget about ambient and focus on providing a good hotspot and your snake will do the rest !

No mate not if they have acess to a hotspot , 20 isnt really that low anyway . Most species would be subject to lower nighttime temps of that in the wild. I have a few jungles im cooling atm and they are getting down to about 13 at night and are absolutely fine . Bottom line is forget about ambient and focus on providing a good hotspot and your snake will do the rest !
Sure, thank you mate

@bi69

You seem to have changed your mind on this matter from previous threads haha

Sure, thank you mate

Even the bottom bit of the tub is not going over 25 degrees, currently I'm using 60w 7.5 mt cord,
Should I use 100w 12 mt cord or is it the way channel is routed or the cord placed ?

That's strange.. my 20w heat cord is still getting me a hot spot of 37° under my python tubs... with the ambient temp in the mid teens up here.

That's strange.. my 20w heat cord is still getting me a hot spot of 37° under my python tubs... with the ambient temp in the mid teens up here.
Can it be coz the distance between the rows is like 4 CMS apart, ?

Can it be that the cord needs to be up more?
e05cf30f6394eabb833a9f2a0accb074.jpg

Can it be coz the distance between the rows is like 4 CMS apart, ?

Yeah most likely, my rows are tight as, like 1cm apart... and I have like 8 passes under the end of each tub.

I think people say no more than 2cms between each route

Yeah most likely, my rows are tight as, like 1cm apart... and I have like 8 passes under the end of each tub.
But wouldn't the wood between the rows anyways prevent the heat from transfering to one another n not creating a heat up in the zone.
Also, Ive placed the heat cord to cover a lil less than one third of the tub, I reckon that much space should be a hot zone

They are useless for measuring surface temperature. Get yourself an IR thermometer. They're quite cheap on eBay or places like Super Cheap Auto

They are useless for measuring surface temperature. Get yourself an IR thermometer. They're quite cheap on eBay or places like Super Cheap Auto
I got that too, but if I point it at bottom of the tub, the IR ray goes through the translucent plastic n hits the cord which obviously won't give the correct temp of the surface of the plastic

Also, you think that the small digital thermometers would be off by 10 - 12 degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back