Help Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't look like a snake shedding... they don't go wrinkly to that degree

Where are you located? We may be able to point you to a great reptile vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am located in Drouin, West Gippsland.

I am located in Drouin, West Gippsland.

I'm in NSW so can't help with the closest but this is your best bet for reptile vets
ef22e532edba24df3cddbb486ed3fb7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the Reptile Doctor. Shane is great... and please don't put it off, that snake definitely needs medical attention.

Keep us up to date on what happens..

Go to the Reptile Doctor. Shane is great... and please don't put it off, that snake definitely needs medical attention.

Keep us up to date on what happens..
Is that the one in Frankston?

I have Percy booked in to see the local Vet this afternoon who is going to work with the reptile Dr. So hopefully Percy will be on the mend soon. Thank you all so much I will let you know how I get on.

I really wish breeders/pet shops took the time to make sure they were selling to people who understood how to provide the necessary care for the animal before purchase. Having enough money seems to be the only prerequisite. There are good breeders out there who care about the animals welfare over the cash, unfortunately they are the minority.

Loz, do as much reading about keeping that species in captivity as you can and teach your son as you go. Hopefully the snake will bounce back after treatment and hopefully vet bills won't be to bad. You will have to take a more active role in helping your son care for the snake. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Hello all, some very good new about Percy. The vet treated him again today and it turns out that he had some old food trapped in his jaw and it was red from the sand. He was experiencing a bad shed. The vet taught us how to help him when this happens. We have given Percy a warm bath and amazingly his skin just came off. I have got rid of all the sand in his home and he now has two hides and a heat mat for night time when we are giving him some dark time. I agree with you nick and more shoudl be done to help new owners, but we shoul dalso take more responcibility to learn about good snake husbandary. We thought we had but obviously not enough. We have learnt so much over the past few days and I am very gretful to the wonderful people on this sight. Percy is looking like one happy snake now. :)

Great to hear that it was an easy fix and that he/she will recover quickly.

Great to hear that you recognise the need to learn more and attain a higher level of care. Knowledge and experience lead to good husbandry. Keep learning.

Check out these books.
A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity
Keeping Carpet Pythons
The Complete Carpet Python

Good news!! And don't hestitate to ask questions if needed in the future. There's some wonderful and really knowledgable people who frequent this site, who would be more than happy to share their wealth of knowledge to anyone in need. Glad Percy will recover.

Good happy outcome for you guys. And please remember that sand only belongs in two places.... the beach and on the "Days of Our Lives".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back