Help sick long neck turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chepie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

first time posting, my daughters turtle’Chompy’ is very sick. We noticed he had stopped eating for a few days, but Friday night became floppy and cold and pale. His water temp was between 24-26. We stayed up nearly all night trying to warm him up. I raced to the vet Saturday morning, vet said he is sick not sure why, gave him some antibiotics and gave me guclose solution to feed to him as much as possible. He said get a heat lamp and keep him under it. Not too much water as he may drown! Okay cleaned the tank everything in it super well , set it up for him. With little water and his heat lamp. So he has some movement but still really lethargic. He is now breathing heavily?!!! He is 3 years old.
I worried he is suffering or in pain... great full for any advice please

I feel for you and your daughter. You haven't really given enough info for any specific help(do you check ammonia, nitrate levels, pH etc?, do you add salt to the water?, what and how often are you feeding him?, do you perform regular partial water changes?, is he basking under a UV light or getting direct sunlight not through glass or water?) but I'll try. First I'm assuming that is an eastern long neck. If so, the water temps are fine(if anything on the warm side. They are a cold climate turtle). That is definitely not too cold. It sounds like a respiratory infection, but you probably already know if it is or not. The only thing I would suggest is find a proper herp vet that is experienced with freshwater turtles. The description you have given doesn't sound good, I really hope the antibiotics clear it up and he comes good for you. Good luck

The temperature is not of concern, ELN are a temperate species, 26° is hot for them... currently mine are in tanks that are down to 14°.
I'm more interested in the complete aquarium chemistry, pH, GH, KH, salinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. What has the turtle been eating regularly? Also, what substrate is used in the aquarium?

Latest posts

Back