Help... this is my snakes first shed... what is going on?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tara Goisisi

Reaction score
My spotted seems to be going threw his first shed since I have had him. it seems to be taking ages. He doesn't have milky eyes at all but he seems to be much duller in colour. He has been hiding sooo much, never coming out of his hide which is unusual for him.

its been about a week and a half. He did take food when offered but is super agro.

How long do they normally shed?

Do you think this is what is happening.

Help

sometimes they go up to 2-3 weeks after pale eyes before finally shedding :)

are you sure he is going through a shed? have u seen the milky eyes?

I have not seen milky eyes at all.
what are the temperatures, you say he has gone dull which usually means hes going into shed... you could have missed the milky eyes,

offtopic a bit, but what are you feeding him? any pics of him + enclosure?

My snake (Choc) did the same thing. I didn't notice any milky eyes on him, he just looked dull, didn't come out and was really cranky. Lasted about two and a half weeks and he shed. Everything went back to normal after that.

My snake (Choc) did the same thing. I didn't notice any milky eyes on him, he just looked dull, didn't come out and was really cranky. Lasted about two and a half weeks and he shed. Everything went back to normal after that.
this is what usually happens... but she mentioned it is super agro, so i feel another thing besides the shed, maybe be underfeeding

It can take anything from about 4 days to a few weeks as Bl69aze says. The amount of time it takes from the start of the slough cycle to the actual slough depends on several things such as temperature, age, size, frequency of feeding since the last slough, amount of growth since the last slough, and several others of less importance. The fastest you'll get a snake to do it will be a juvenile growing rapidly, feeding heaps, kept hot. You haven't said anything about yours so it's hard to say, but in normal conditions around 10 days is about the ballpark for Antaresia.

My guess is that he's going through a normal slough cycle and will slough any time now. Difficult to say too much for sure without much information to go on.

Did your little guy continue to eat during this time?
[doublepost=1527068734,1527068376][/doublepost]
what are the temperatures, you say he has gone dull which usually means hes going into shed... you could have missed the milky eyes,

offtopic a bit, but what are you feeding him? any pics of him + enclosure?

We have just started having a little trouble with the temps. The enclosure is a little tall for him but he didn't seem to mind before now. I am worried about where we have the Thermometers as he seems to be sitting in the cool side even though it says it is a little cold on the warm side but he never goes over there.
Always in his cool hide.

We are feeding him hoppers every 4-5 days at the moment as we build him up to adult mice.
There has been struggles for this little guy before we got him.
[doublepost=1527068804][/doublepost]
Fair enough and I might have been a little more diplomatic but its common especially in young animals
this guys has also not been handled for over a year and a half so he is generally snappy but not more so.
[doublepost=1527069139][/doublepost]
It can take anything from about 4 days to a few weeks as Bl69aze says. The amount of time it takes from the start of the slough cycle to the actual slough depends on several things such as temperature, age, size, frequency of feeding since the last slough, amount of growth since the last slough, and several others of less importance. The fastest you'll get a snake to do it will be a juvenile growing rapidly, feeding heaps, kept hot. You haven't said anything about yours so it's hard to say, but in normal conditions around 10 days is about the ballpark for Antaresia.

My guess is that he's going through a normal slough cycle and will slough any time now. Difficult to say too much for sure without much information to go on.

I got Sully (my little guy) about a month ago. He was very underfed before I got him so we have been upping his food quite a bit. He seems much thicker since we got him. He is about 2 and a half years old we think.

I does seem from what everyone is saying that he is acting normally but it has been worrying me not seeing him move around much at all.
I keep poking around to make sure he is still breathing :(
Just a newby over here all worried :)

I does seem from what everyone is saying that he is acting normally but it has been worrying me not seeing him move around much at all.
I keep poking around to make sure he is still breathing :(
Just a newby over here all worried :)

i think we all worry about our snakes when we are new, and they stop poking their head out for weeks on end

It's normal for snakes to spend most of their time hiding away during most of the year, but this is a pretty quiet time of year for many species when it's cooling down but the main part of breeding season hasn't kicked in yet, and it's completely normal for snakes to sit completely still during the sloughing cycle. Their vision is poor, their skin is delicate, they have a reduced desire to feed, they just want to be hidden away and left alone while they are in this sensitive, vulnerable, relatively incapable state. The last thing they want is you poking and hassling them at this time.

You can play with them if you want to, but reptiles are best kept like fish - watched and enjoyed but not hands on unless necessary.

It's normal for snakes to spend most of their time hiding away during most of the year, but this is a pretty quiet time of year for many species when it's cooling down but the main part of breeding season hasn't kicked in yet, and it's completely normal for snakes to sit completely still during the sloughing cycle. Their vision is poor, their skin is delicate, they have a reduced desire to feed, they just want to be hidden away and left alone while they are in this sensitive, vulnerable, relatively incapable state. The last thing they want is you poking and hassling them at this time.

You can play with them if you want to, but reptiles are best kept like fish - watched and enjoyed but not hands on unless necessary.

Agreed.
I think because I have not gone through this process yet it was worrying me how 180 it has been from his usual behaviour.
We are definitely not playing with him or poking him physically. Just moving his hide a little to make sure he is still about.
When we moved his hide we came out for the most massive drink ever as well so I didn't feel to to bad for bugging him.

Thanks for your help.
He seems normal
[doublepost=1527223495,1527223457][/doublepost]
i think we all worry about our snakes when we are new, and they stop poking their head out for weeks on end

Thank you for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back