Help to identify a snake from Barrington Tops NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I think 3 more have been collected 1 preserved and 2 in a zoo if memory serves me correctly.

That makes you part of APS folklore and history! Hahaha!

A great many events had to be set in motion for this penultimate line, that changed APS forever, to poof into existence. Jase you were an important cog in that system if it wasn't for you none of this would have happened.

Well I sure do!! I believe the original statement " Mate that's definitely a Keelback " was directed at me lol

Found one the other day and a couple of walkers said it was a black snake. Technically...
Good point Fuscus. With just a hint of a pause between two words, a name becomes a description....

Names are given to things in order to identify objects and to facilitate communication about objects. When something has a name and you refer tom it in communicating with another person, that other person can identify what you are referring to. Common names for reptiles and frogs are not made up ad hoc. They have arisen in circumstances that allow people to refer to a particular animal or group of animals and be understood by others. Forty five years ago I distinguished between White-lipped Snakes and Marsh Snakes, even though I could not rattle off their scientific names then.

Common names do have some advantages. You can use them with everyday people when talking about these animals. They also remain fairly constant when the scientific taxa change. They provide some description of the animal. And for those starting out in herpetology, they provide a stepping stone to learning scientific names.

Despite the problems that do exist, I personally believe it is important to be as consistent as possible in the use of accepted common names.

Blue

EDIT: Sorry – I managed to miss a whole page of posts.

Common names are not “utterly subjective”. The point I was making above is that many, if not most, have been long established. Misuse should be corrected and discouraged. You will find them published in the literature – Worrell, Cogger, Wilson and Knowles, Swan and Wilson. While there are still a few contentious ones, like King Brown vs Mulga, there is a heap that are well established and incorrect alternatives should not be used or accepted from those who should know better.

A second O. temporalis was found during a biological survey in May 2010... 'Secret' snake, rare deadly taipan, discovered in WA | Perth Now
Two living specimens were collected in October 2010 and sent to Adelaide Zoo...
Rare taipans found in WA's Great Victorian Desert, head to Adelaide Zoo | Perth Now

Last edited by a moderator:
yea its a marsh snake, hey thats a good find for one day up there, what month did you go herping there in? Im thinking of going herping there, what season and what part of barringtons would be best to see copperheads and tigers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back