HELP!!! We found this near our pool area??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eve8theapple

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new on here and seeking any help I can get! I live in Maryborough Queensland, and we found this little guy in our pool area? Can anyone have a look and tell us what he is and do we need to be aware? Many thanks! Eve

Attachments

• PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 282
Looks like a "red" or "orange" naped snake to me , they are venomous but not deadly

I thought whip. But I don't know what the napes look like. Nice looking snake either way. I would say that it wouldn't be very venomous, however, treat a bite as fatal. It's the safest way.

Looked in Reptiles of Australia book and looks identical to a red naped or orange naped... can't see the colour well enough in the photos. We get cute little orange ones up here. Actually looking at the terrain it is probably a red naped... it says 'bites from the larger species may cause severe symptoms' so even though you probably won't die if it bit you, i'd not like to feel even minor symptoms!!!

i think that a whip snake will have a black head and the red naped snake will have orange/red between the black :). so my guess is it is a red naped snake.
cheers,
brad

Definitely Red-Naped. Orange-naped are not found in Maryborough.

:p

Hix

Yeah that's what i meant by 'looking at their terrain'... hehe would have had to hitch hiked... hehe with his little back pack.

Red-naped Snake, being an elapid they do have venom, but they are considered harmless. You have nothing to worry about at all. Release him a little away from the pool and you'll probably never see him again. You can pick the snake up very gently with your hands, it will not bite, admire his beauty then let him on his way.

It's a red naped, they usually turn up dead in swimming pool filters. Good thing you found him before that happened

You wouldn't even feel it if it bit you, and the only way you'd get it to bite you is if you could convince it your finger is a skink! :lol:

You wouldn't even feel it if it bit you, and the only way you'd get it to bite you is if you could convince it your finger is a skink! :lol:
yeah thats right it says they normally strike with there mouth closed

Thanks to all of you, he is not injured and has since been released AWAY from the pool. Again I thank you so much. Eve

it is a red naped snake they are an elapid (front fanged venomous snake) not all that venomous (harmless) feed skinks and asian house geckos ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back