Help with heating/lighting/thermostat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grigals

Reaction score
78F7BEBA-5F18-42E6-9C0D-D4BA23645D09.jpeg Hi all! I have a baby 7 and a half month old Darwin carpet python named August. He is about to get a tank upgrade, he's moving into an exo terra 90 x 45 x 45 cm wide enclosure. He's in a small tub with heat mats at the moment but in the new enclosure we are putting in a ceramic heat lamp and uvb bulb on a thermostat. I'm not sure what watt ceramic bulb or uvb i should use, also not sure of a good thermostat to go with. I have a feeling people might bring this up, the little black dots on August are not mites! I got him checked out by a vet because i was worried they may be mites, they are part of his pattern!

for wattage, you wouldnt need more than 100w max, i used 75w not on a thermostat about 30cm from basking branch (dont ask me why no thermostat, im not sure), only turning it off on days that would be 35c+ outside, 24/7, before i thought about cooling/ natural temps whatever

best thermostats you can get at the moment for beginners in my opinion are the microclimate evo lite!, not cheap, but they are accurate within in the .2 range and allow all heating types, on/off, pulse, dimming
+ day/night temp setting, 24hour temp charts etc

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to check out the microclimate evo lite, it sounds like a very good thermostat.

You cant beat floor heating , i would get a heat cord or apropriate size heat mat for a start.

He has heat mats under his enclosure at the moment but I'm really trying to imitate his wild habitat like heat coming from above :)

Like i said , you cant beat floor heat. Keeping reptiles indoors is much different to keeping them outdoors.

Latest posts

Back