Help with identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Sandra i think it worked. Its defnitly a black snake i would guess spotted black

Attachments

• snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 143
  • snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 114
Thanks Cam. I was looking on the web and was wondering if it could be a slaty grey snake.

Eastern Small-eyed Snake - Cryptophis nigrescens

Yep, I'm with Snakeman on this.

Eastern Small-eyed Snake - Cryptophis nigrescens.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I should get a snake person to move it or just leave it be?

Yeah, only experienced handlers for this one.

They're remarkably potent for their size. In fact, potentially fatal bites can occur from this species, though it's rare.
They're shy and not aggressive but take care anyway.

There has been one reported death from it's bite. It has myotoxic venom. I thought they were Nocturnal and usually only found under rocks and stuff,never heard of them venturing into backyards.

i know a place where they breed in the se burbs of melbourne which ive been visiting for about
20 years.
you can nearly always find these beautiful snakes partially buried in soil under rocks.i use a mini hand rake,
They will venture into backyards when disturbed by earthworks or when looking for water.they are regarded as nocturnal but have been seen busy during the early mornings and late evenings to.
i bred these snakes in the early 80s by replicating the environment in an outside enclosure.
oh yeh, dont get bitten by these guys because they can make you feel quite sick.

Thanks for that info guys. You can never know too much about any herp.

Ando wrote - "never heard of them venturing into backyards".
I know of one that was in a loungeroom! This is a very rare occurrence though.

There's lots of differences between them.

The eyes are small in the Small-eyed Snake, as the name suggests.
Black snakes from the genus Pseudechis have relatively large eyes.

i had about 40 of these in a fish tank some years ago when i was a fulltime snake catcher living in my dads units....
i had a mate come around early in the morning to come and see them,,,when he asked me where they were,,i laughed at him and called him and idiot and it was to early for his humour...\

fair enough,,,they were gone,,,my heat light had burned the silicone on the back of the tank and the whole back sheet of glass had seperated and fallen off....

people in the units had to pay me to recatch them,,,and after a week i had had all of them plus one...

the differ from a black snake is just about everything..
the only thing they have in common is the colour of there skin...
small eyes have a tiger snake type venom,,
small ones still have about the same amount of venom as a full size eastern brown...
they will congregate in large numbers..
they are quite non aggresive,,
but i find the bigger ones alot more aggresive,,
80cm long is about a huge one and as thick as your thumb.
rughly 50cm is average size..

Najanaja wrote :- "i had about 40 of these in a fish tank ...i had a mate come around early in the morning to come and see them,,,when he asked me where they were,,i laughed at him and called him and idiot and it was to early for his humour...they were gone,,,my heat light had burned the silicone on the back of the tank and the whole back sheet of glass had seperated and fallen off.....people in the units had to pay me to recatch them.......and after a week i had had all of them plus one..."

Are you serious???? Your snakes escaped through your mismanagement and people paid you for catching them????? I hope you're only joking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back