Help with ID'ing a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been said 100% a keelback, do you have a body of fresh water close by to your house? These littles guys are also called the Freshwater Snake and hang around water where they eat frogs and fish. Just a random piece of info for you - keelbacks are the only Australian snakes that can eat cane toads without any ill effects.
Mass release of keelbacks in QLD???????? :D

I for one appreciate that Bellslace has questioned the 100%ers, because although he may have been wrong it has created the opportunity for others to learn. As well as the smile, Waruikazi's pictures show considerable differences in the Ocular and Labial scales

Yep agree 100% I'm very much anti-shovel ;) I've never had to deal with a highly venomous snake in my yard, but with four kids, two of which are toddlers I'd rather let the harmless ones go their own way and have a venomous snake moved to a safer place for it's own well being. Better that than have it disappear somewhere else in the yard with the chance that the kids might startle it.
Can fully understand your concern with kiddies , I have raised 4 kids in the bush myself and have had encounters with snakes whilst they were young ...I realise toddlers dont have the ability to understand danger but toddlers arent normally left unattended in the yard by themselves .With your older children ,educate them that if they see a snake in the yard to stand very still and call for dad or mum to come and help .Walk up slowly while talking calmly to your child telling them to stand very still ,get in front of your child ,and tell them to walk very slowly back listening to you at all times ,as for you, watch the snake and move very slowly or stand there till snake moves on, depending on how close you are to it or what type your dealing with .
MOVEMENT is what will set a snake off ,this is what you need to try and avoid .(this will work even with our most venomous ) just sometimes gotta have the balls to stand still :lol:(you can scream like a banshee if that helps... snake wont hear ya ;))

Can fully understand your concern with kiddies , I have raised 4 kids in the bush myself and have had encounters with snakes whilst they were young ...I realise toddlers dont have the ability to understand danger but toddlers arent normally left unattended in the yard by themselves .With your older children ,educate them that if they see a snake in the yard to stand very still and call for dad or mum to come and help .Walk up slowly while talking calmly to your child telling them to stand very still ,get in front of your child ,and tell them to walk very slowly back listening to you at all times ,as for you, watch the snake and move very slowly or stand there till snake moves on, depending on how close you are to it or what type your dealing with .
MOVEMENT is what will set a snake off ,this is what you need to try and avoid .(this will work even with our most venomous ) just sometimes gotta have the balls to stand still :lol:(you can scream like a banshee if that helps... snake wont hear ya ;))

Will this tactic work with all snakes, ie. tiger snakes?
I know from my experiences that Eastern Browns will usually flee, but Tiger snakes have a reputation for being more aggressive from what I've heard.

Will this tactic work with all snakes, ie. tiger snakes?
I know from my experiences that Eastern Browns will usually flee, but Tiger snakes have a reputation for being more aggressive from what I've heard.
Yes ...if the snake is showing signs of activity such as striking out then stand still and wait it out ,if it seems to not show interest as your moving SLOWLY away, keep doing so, but never take your eyes off it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back