Help With New Spotted Python Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have another questions guys, How the hell do you regulate the heat mat?
It was only like 24 this morning (but turned off as Sydney is so hot ATM) so I turned it on and went out for an hour and came back and it's 40 omg don't want a cooked snake!!
So turned it off and bought him in his cage downstairs to watch him and cool him down, what do you guys do to have it the same temperature??
Or is it a matter of always turning the heating on and off?
I don't want him to get sick or a cold xxxx

A thermostat, surprised they didn't have one in the kit at Kellyville pets honestly...
there not the cheapest things but you plug the heat mat into the thermostat, then set the temp you want and it will turn the heat mat on and off when it gets to the right temp to keep it regular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A thermostat, surprised they didn't have one in the kit at Kellyville pets honestly...
there not the cheapest things but you plug the heat mat into the thermostat, then set the temp you want and it will turn the heat mat on and off when it gets to the right temp to keep it regular

Thank you!!
I will go get one, yeah they should come in the kits as it's a complete starter kit apparently,
Poor snake no wonder he did want his mouse

Thank you xxx

Thank you!!
I will go get one, yeah they should come in the kits as it's a complete starter kit apparently,
Poor snake no wonder he did want his mouse

Thank you xxx

All good

All good

This is the one they gave us and this is what they said about it.... can I attach a thermostat to it??

Reptile One Heat Mat 5w 14x15cm
Heating is an important component in the health of reptiles and amphibians. These animals will
seek warm areas in order to maintain body temperature which is important in controlling metabolism
and digestion. Reptile One heat mats are designed to create heat zones within the substrate that
help to maintain natural heat gradients.

The range of 240V heat mats have been designed to include a built-in thermal safety cut off,
eliminating the need for the heat mat to be run on a thermostat and ensuring safety from potential
overheating. Available in various sizes.

This is the one they gave us and this is what they said about it.... can I attach a thermostat to it??

Reptile One Heat Mat 5w 14x15cm
Heating is an important component in the health of reptiles and amphibians. These animals will
seek warm areas in order to maintain body temperature which is important in controlling metabolism
and digestion. Reptile One heat mats are designed to create heat zones within the substrate that
help to maintain natural heat gradients.

The range of 240V heat mats have been designed to include a built-in thermal safety cut off,
eliminating the need for the heat mat to be run on a thermostat and ensuring safety from potential
overheating. Available in various sizes.

I have one with the 'built in thermal safety cut off', and the cut off for mine is at 50C, which is ridiculous as well as dangerous.

I bought a timer from Bunnings ($12) to run my mats on.
One of my heat mats has a built in thermostat which reads to about 1'C so that one's timer cuts off overnight to simulate a day/night cycle.
My Woma's in the one that cuts off at 50, and for him the mat is off during the hottest times in the day (12-2). The temps within the hide remain a constant of 30-35 even in this period. His timer is set to turn off earlier in the day (5pm) but will remain above 25 degrees up until midnight.

I wouldn't try starting a day/night cycle with your snake until he is at least a year old and eating well.
That being said, my Woma who is 9 months has been on a day/night cycle since he was 7 months as he eats every week without fail.

My Stimsons was off his food from the beginning of Winter up until 2 months ago when I put in the timers. The cycle really stimulates him to eat and I've only seen benefits to this (actively searching for food, consistent feeding once a week, more active in general).

I have one with the 'built in thermal safety cut off', and the cut off for mine is at 50C, which is ridiculous as well as dangerous.

I bought a timer from Bunnings ($12) to run my mats on.
One of my heat mats has a built in thermostat which reads to about 1'C so that one's timer cuts off overnight to simulate a day/night cycle.
My Woma's in the one that cuts off at 50, and for him the mat is off during the hottest times in the day (12-2). The temps within the hide remain a constant of 30-35 even in this period. His timer is set to turn off earlier in the day (5pm) but will remain above 25 degrees up until midnight.

I wouldn't try starting a day/night cycle with your snake until he is at least a year old and eating well.
That being said, my Woma who is 9 months has been on a day/night cycle since he was 7 months as he eats every week without fail.

My Stimsons was off his food from the beginning of Winter up until 2 months ago when I put in the timers. The cycle really stimulates him to eat and I've only seen benefits to this (actively searching for food, consistent feeding once a week, more active in general).

I just went back to the pet shop to ask about the mat and yes it's the same cut off about 50!! Stupid really, They said to place his house half on half off ummmm I will try but really it needs to be cut off at about 30 shouldn't it?
They said snake will move if he is hot but hello what if he is dead lol
Omg can't wait he moves to a bigger apartment

Kellyville pets sell the Reptile One Atmostat for $ 150. Not cheap I know, but you will need a thermostat some time in the future. Ask them to set it up for you and then place the probe on the bottom of the enclosure directly above centre of heat mat, it will then switch on and off as required I have mine set so it turns on at 30 deg and then switches off at 34 deg. Of course there are other brands of thermos out there, this is just the one I use. Works well. When I say on bottom of enclosure I mean on top of whatever substrate you are using.

@Vixxen, The Spotties are a pretty hardy bunch and from now until April I only have a small 5 watt heat pad for my 2 to digest their meals, all other heating is turned off, I have done this for the last 3 years and they are as happy as 2 lil piggies in mud, they eat and shed with no probs and if we have a small cold snap or something they just curl up on the heat pad (which is under the enclosure till the weather warms up) no need to baby them. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

@Vixxen, The Spotties are a pretty hardy bunch and from now until April I only have a small 5 watt heat pad for my 2 to digest their meals, all other heating is turned off, I have done this for the last 3 years and they are as happy as 2 lil piggies in mud, they eat and shed with no probs and if we have a small cold snap or something they just curl up on the heat pad (which is under the enclosure till the weather warms up) no need to baby them. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Thank you :)
If you have 2 are they in the same cage and have to be the same sex or does it not matter ?
I'd like to get another one when I've figured out how to look after baby Heck properly, they are so gorgeous but I want to get #1 right first LOL

The golden rule of snake keeping is to keep them separate, except for breeding purposes of course. There will be some who swear that it is fine, and that they have kept snakes together for years, but there is always the chance that one will turn on the other. Better not to take the risk, IMO.

my heat mat he just lays on under his house, he has moved it half on and half off it seems to works for him he eats well and poops well. I have no lights on as it gets hot here everytime I have held him his body temp is fine he aint cold. when I have the aircon on if the temp drops too far I just cover the side the a/c blows on. Its working for me and him so why fix it if it aint broke lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back