Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanthomas

Reaction score
hay all, so my 1 year old costal dont want to eat its been about 1 mounth, and ive trid everything he usally eats every 3 or 4 days so this is really wierd for him but yeah can anyone help or tell me wat im doing wrong............. thanks

What are the temps in his enclosure? And he could probably go a week to 10 days between feeds as opposed to 3 - 4 days (that might be overfeeding)

well the temps are between 20 and 23 degrees but at night there 16 at the lowest

No wonder your snake isn't eating! Did you not research the required temperatures for your animal at all?

20-23 should be the cool end temps - you need a hot spot of around 32 or so.

Too cold, warm it up.:)

Does it have a basking lamp?

ok... yeah cause i was told up here in cairns were its hot you dont need heat lights just a heat rock and nomal light but yeah they were wrong.... so ill get a heat light

thanks

Night time room temps will be dropping due to the on coming of winter so therefore unless you heat everything 27/7 then they will stop eating and prepare for winter..
Personally i dont feed most of my animals over the winter period and those i do feed are fed sparingly..

Yea exactly that, temps are way off, I suggest researching some more, and maybe lay off a fair not longer on the olive idea.

Bit longer*

ok... yeah cause i was told up here in cairns were its hot you dont need heat lights just a heat rock and nomal light but yeah they were wrong.... so ill get a heat light

thanks
Dont really listen to what your told, due to sometimes its like the blind leading the blind...do some research, google, read books, talk to breeders etc.. Is the best way to learn..
Ive been keeping reptile for 10 years and dont think ive ever used a heat light from a pet store, i just use standard 40/60/75w screw in bulbs that you get from the local supermarket for my enclosures and heatcord for my racks...
As for night time i dont really worry about heating anything, but if i did id just use a heat mat or something as in the wild the night is always colder then the day so they expect a temp drop....
Also i think heatrocks are worth less...basically the equivalent of you clinging naked to a hot water bottle outside in the cold of night...aint going to do much to warm you up if the air temp is freezing..

thanks

I'd ditch the heat rock asap and purchase a heat lamp, light cover (to prevent burns) and a thermostat (if you don't have one already).

Yea exactly that, temps are way off, I suggest researching some more, and maybe lay off a fair not longer on the olive idea.

Bit longer*

LOL Who are you to tell people what to do ? its all learning curve how are you supposed to get experience if you never keep the animal ? If you want an olive python get one, snakes are alot more hardy then people give them credit for.

LOL Who are you to tell people what to do ? its all learning curve how are you supposed to get experience if you never keep the animal ? If you want an olive python get one, snakes are alot more hardy then people give them credit for.

If the original poster is still not experienced enough to adequately care for a Coastal, then I feel that Londos1990's suggestion to hold off on purchasing an Olive is quite wise. A large Olive python can be a handful for even an experienced keeper, and it is a very good idea for dylanthomas to get things right with his Coastal and do some proper research before purchasing another animal.

Oh, and as for that learning curve you mentioned - you don't just purchase an animal with zero prior knowledge or research and just hope you learn it all as you go.

Snakes as big as olives are a lot more dangerous than people give them credit for. If someone is so inexperienced as to not know 23 is too low I think it's a perfectly good recommendation to hold off on getting something that will get big enough to cause real damage/death

If the original poster is still not experienced enough to adequately care for a Coastal, then I feel that Londos1990's suggestion to hold off on purchasing an Olive is quite wise. A large Olive python can be a handful for even an experienced keeper, and it is a very good idea for dylanthomas to get things right with his Coastal and do some proper research before purchasing another animal.

Oh, and as for that learning curve you mentioned - you don't just purchase an animal with zero prior knowledge or research and just hope you learn it all as you go.

Absolutely!!!!

Although some few snakes can survive without higher temps most will require at least some 30C
There is no need to go overboard
A single light globe will provide xxx amount of heat
Any thermometer will measure this
If your room temperatures dont have huge swings during the day this is a simple cost effective and very reliable way to heat a viv
Just put the globe at one end
One hour later measure the temp gradiant between hotter and cooler end
Too cool = bigger wattage globe
Too hot= smaller wattage
Just right = bagged it in one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back