Hemiaspis signata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

varanus

Reaction score
Check out this 20cm cutie (Hemiaspis signata - Marsh/Swamp snake) which was wandering around a mates garden.
hemiaspis_signata1.jpg

PS If anyone is selling these we'd be interested :D

Seems to be a very tame snake. Pretty little thing too.

I just love small elapids

Where does your freind live varanus? nice snake.

i have heaps of those in my garden too in brisbane. mostly about that size but have found a couple around 70-80cm. usually very quiet but their bite feels similar to a yellow faced whip snake. i kept one with an injured tail for a little while- it used to constrict the skinks i gave it. pretty cool

Another common species that has very low numbers kept on license in NSW. Cant say Ive ever seen any for sale. You'll have to wait for NPWS to do a few more confiscations for the ballot. They only feed on skinks.

Does this species take to f/t mice? if not its not surprising few are kept, cant take skinks from the wildfor food, have to breed them i suppose. Question, are you allowed to breed a reptile as food for another?

I have just sent an e-mail to NPWS asking about breeding the common garden skink for food, will let you know when I have an answer.

Have to say again, lovely looking snake.

A friend of ours who does snake rescue and rehabilitation in the Sydney area told us that they're actually quite easy to get weaned onto rat tails.

I'd be interested to know whether you can catch skinks for food for your animals here in NSW, if anyone knows. As I recall in QLD you could catch three species of skinks for food for your animals, but I have no idea on the laws regarding that in NSW.

I saw one for sale in 2002 but haven't seen any since. According to the holdings list in NSW there's 23 on license if my memory serves me well.

ive seen them eat pinkies with no encouragement

gudang said:
ive seen them eat pinkies with no encouragement

most of the specimens that come through my hands would be able to habdle a pinkie and those large enough dont even look at them.
I take it though that you are talking about captive as opposed to rescues.

when i was a kid i caught a few and had them in a big fish tank. my old man kept snakes his whole life too so we tried them on pinkies which we had plenty of and they took them straight away. after being captive for about a fortnight eating skinks. may have just been hungry because we had alot more dificulty feeding pinkies to whipsnakes.

hey gudang
i live in brisbane where do they usualy like to hide i would love to have a close look if i can find one

I recieved this from NPWS re: feeding skinks to snakes

Dear Amy,
I have sent your email to our wildife licensing section, as I am not sure.
All reptiles are protected, so this does raise a few legislative
conundrums. They should get back to you shortly.

Will let you know what happens

NB: I only asked about NSW, I dont know about other states

luke, you can find them around the base of mnt coot-tha and mt glorious and their surrounding suburbs. often under logs or anything steel or tin that is near a water course.

A close friend kept these for a number of years but had stopped by the time licensing came in. His fed on skinks and frogs, both of which he cultivated in his backyard. He was bitten one christmas and became very nauseous and his hand swelled up but was fine after a while. he had been drinking at the time so he got no sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back