Here's another one for you!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK guys so ive been thinking ( i know its a shocking thing to do over the school holidays) but generally baby animals and hatchlings are born more dull and drab than their parents, i came to a few conculsions on why this might be... firstly they arent fully developed so dont have full colour, also their colour pigmentation may not be as strong and visible as their parents, but then i was thinking with mammals its often to be camoflauged when they are younger and more vunerable, so they can blend in..... I was thinking does this happen with reptiles? I know that lots of hatchlings are alot less colourful than their adult counterparts, but sometimes its the other way around like gtp's, just wondering why this is?

We have an old fart on school holidays? :p

Certainly would be an interesting topic. Maybe with GTPs they are hatched out on the ground so the yellow plays a part hiding them in the speckled sunlight of the rainforest floor while others hide under rocks so don't want to stand out. Certain be interesting following this thread.

A lot of decaying leaves on the forest floors can often be the same yellow as the GTP hatchies...

It happens in emerald tree boas as well. I suppose if an organism preys on the older green coloured snakes it might not want to risk eating the differently coloured young offspring. In nature bright colours are also sometimes associated with venomous or poisionous organisms. Just my opinion.....

-Will

Varanus rosenbergi & giganteus and many other monitor babies are far more brightly coloured than the adults, as well as some of the Oedura geckos. Things are differently coloured for various reasons, some things colour up to breed, some things colour down with age, just like an old car..

WHOOPS sorry morning brain! and i have forgotten alot of things in my old age!

maybe u should change it back to 7 :p

great maths skills for one of your age, congrats!

So whats your view on this miss2 or are you going to keep making unrelated comments ;P jks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back