Here's Venom In Your Eye: Spitting Cobras Hit Their Mark

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published: 22-Jan-09 03:00 PM
Source: ScienceDaily

Spitting cobras have an exceptional ability to spray venom into eyes of potential attackers. A new study reveals how these snakes maximize their chances of hitting the target. Using high-speed photography and electromyography, scientists uncover the mechanics of a cobra "spit."

Read More...

Thanks. Interesting article there. Also lots of other good ones linked on that page. Did you see the episod where Steve Irwin went to East Africa to catch spitting cobra? He was awesome as ever.

i always figured it was like a shot gun just a big spray aimed at the space but now i know better
i like to be informed

Exactly as David Attenborough showed it on the Snakes segment of 'Life in Cold Blood'
I love the wording ---- complex geometric venom patterns .
I wonder how much funding they got for that.
All you have to do is see footage of it once to see that the Spitting Cobra moves it's head from side to side a bit to maximise hitting it's target's eyes.

Attenborough showed it by wearing a full perspex face shield covered in a sustance that turned pink when the venom hit it.
After the snake spat at him , the shield was absolutely splattered with pink spots.
Or rather---- Complex geometric venom patterns . ppffft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back