Hermit Crab Care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is the right place to post this but I think it’s a start hey, So I'm really wanting to get in keeping hermit crabs and wanted to hear from people that actually keep them, as usually I’ve got a few question on keeping them.:)

After keeping gold fish for quite some time, I’ve got a free 40L Planet Blue Aquarium would this be okay to house a few in (4 maybe)?

I’ve read they require some heat, so I’ll be using a small heat mat under the aquarium that’ll be connected to a thermostat set to around 30-32 degrees, is that okay? and I’m a bit confused on what substrate is appropriate to keep them on, is sand fine?
:?

If there’s anything else important that I need to know, Just tell me hehe
:D

I live and learn in regard to these guys, we keep them at work but we are a nursery(plant)so I sort of fell into looking after these guys. There are some great sites that offer more expert advice.

Your aquarium should house 4 medium crabs nicely, they need humidity so I put a moss pit(moss in a little water and tub)over a heat pad(under aquarium)they like clean sand as a substrate(about 2inches deep) I also have a heat pad at the back of the aquarium so their air temp is around 32 degrees. I also have a cool end(snake keeper coming out in me lol) They need a variety of shells as they can be picky. I also put drift wood into their habitat as they love to climb. Water does not have to have salt in it every day but I have 2 water dishes one salty one fresh. A salt water bath is necessary once a week. I offer our crabs a good commercial food and fresh salad leaves daily and a little fruit, ours seem to like melon? any form.....
Again I am not an expert, this is just how I have learned to keep ours at work. They thrive and I have had no deaths

Thanks [MENTION=28308]CrystalMoon[/MENTION] :)

- - - Updated - - -

Would it be okay if I just used one heat mat on the bottom of the fish tank? and do I spray the sand to create humidity? and what would the right humidity be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back