Hermit crab questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's them mate. They are sold in the shops down here. Bunerong has had them, I saw one in a Passion for Pet's store this arvo and I'm sure they are in others.

Wow! I might just grab one or two when I upgrade.

Edit: Don't know either of those stores, where are they?

i was thinkin about gettin back into hermies coz i have a big spare tank (too small for beardies and not keen on gettin gex) so when i do ill post pics

oh forgot to add i use to use pipi shells for their food and put cuttle fish in for them to nibble on they love drift wood and climbing so you can add suction cap (bathroom) containers for diff levels connected by fake vines etc... also when i had lil ones i use to crush up the pellet food a lil and wet it... other wise they drag them off and hide them and they decay and smell funky! hehehe i always use beach sand for mine anywho post pics if you set up a "crabitat"... also use to get whole coconuts and saw them in half take the flesh out and cut a "door" into them for them to live in

Woah Viridae, cool set up. I like them, they're actually really cute. If you can call a crustacean 'cute'... Funny how they peer out from under their shell. What's their 'personality' like? Do they just sit still most of the day? Do they react to you?

They ahve all different personalities - I'll copy what I wrote about them in another thread.

They have lots of personality. Goliath is the largest, an ok handler and a bit of a bully at times. Likes to sit in the highest spot he can for hours on end. He is also the most active during the day.

Next biggest is Hannibal. He is a great handler, and is one of my originals, he is somewhat smaller than Goliath and doesn't come out that much at the moment - likes digging holes and sitting in them - think he maybe getting ready to moult (stressful :( ) - since I originally wrote this he has entirely buried himself and I haven't seen him for a day or so - unusual for him so I hope he is moulting and it goes well. I don't have anywhere to isolate him :( I need to grab a critter carrier and glad wrap the top and fill it with sand to make a moult spot. Hannibal is called hannibal because he tried to eat my flatmate soon after we got him - took a chunk out of her pal and she swears he tried to eat it - probobly true too. She doesn't like him much.

A little smaller than hannibal is twitch. Twitch is entirely nocturnal - I dont see him much at all, he digs a cave and hides in it during the day - I only worked out he was coming out at night the other day when I got home pissed at about 3 am to find twitch at the front of the tank starring out into my room. Twitch is grumpy - he doesn't like being woken and will threaten you with his big claw - and pinch any piece of palm he can get his claw to if you let him. Only if that doesn't work will he actually stick his head out.

Aaand the baby - by far the smallest is a little fellow called Peg Leg. Peggy is missing the bottom part of his little claw and is terribly skittish. He is also very very fast and scoots around the place at the slighest sign of movement. He is pretty active during the day, just not as much as Goliath.

Oh and yeah - Hannibal is not very nervous at all - you can move around and he isn't jumpy - everyone else is a bit jumpy but not too bad (ie they hide for a few seconds then come out again - Hannibal knows its all good and just keeps going about his business)

I posted this in the land crab thread but I may as well post again - they LOVE climbing:

23_09_07Goliath003.jpg

Ever had escapees?

Nope - and for a very good reason, I use a Aqua One aquarium with a fitted lid - keeps the humidity in, comes with lights and there is no openings for them to get out of. If you have a normal glass aquarium, make sure the lid fits tightly. They have been known to climb the silicone sealant in the corners.

i saw a pic of one eating a bird, now i must have one lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back