Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

butterfly33

Reaction score
Published On: 9-28-2009
Source: The Daily Examiner

Six-year-old Staffordshire terrier George is the hero of the Doyle household at Pillar Valley. George was outside with owner Barbara Doyle on the family's 1.8 hectare property on Friday afternoon when he took on and killed a 1.7-metre eastern brown snake.

The snake was only centimetres from Barbara when the fearless dog intervened. Barbara said she was working in the yard about mid-afternoon, tying up a tree that had been blown down.

“George raced behind me and I heard him make a crazy noise,” she said.

“When I turned around he had grabbed the snake and whipped it into the air.

“When it landed he was onto it again and whipped it up again and didn't stop until the snake wasn't moving.”

While emphasising the family doesn't condone the killing of snakes and regularly re-homes snakes that make their way onto the property, Barbara said George received special treatment after protecting his owner.

Eastern browns are the second most venomous snake in the world and potentially highly aggressive.

Go to Original Article

"Savage dog fatally mutilates protected wildlife as it attempts escape."

Stupid dog, stupid owner.

I always hear stories like this on the news or the Internet most of them are exaggerated saying the snake was a centimetre behind them when it was probably a few metres away and they were just scared

Wonder what the outcome would have been had the dog died ....cause the dog wouldve known it was an eastern brown now ....it wouldnt have even made media at all had it been a green tree snake ...media hogwash over dramatised by humans misconception of an animal simply crossing pathways at the wrong time ....very sad another useless killing :(

Dog did wat it would do naturally i guess, protecting owner or not, im sure al;ot of dogs would go for a snake..

Now all the dogs in Australia are going to read this and think it's good to kill snakes as it makes you a hero!

Hero dog? I really HATE the media with a passion, it was doing what is natural for a dog, it didn't have the intention on saving anyone, just killing. What dogs do best.

Hero dog?

I agree with Jason.

I also believe that dogs have the instinct to know and percieve what is a real and present danger and the dog would have acted accordingly. Sure the owner may have been further away than written but I have no doubt in my mind that the dog would be protecting it's owner.

Dan the man, have you never heard of stories where dog's have jumped into swimming pools of rivers and dragged people out??? It does happen.

If a snake was a centermeter behind you, how could a fully grown staffie stand between you and the snake?

Why is the dog stupid for killing a snake? Because I'd hate to reply "Oh look, that smart dog just killed a snake."

As for any implication of altruism on the dogs behalf, as alluded to previously (and I would retract my above statement should this be proven true) it's a smart dog who knows their elapid identification.

Why is the dog stupid for killing a snake? Because I'd hate to reply "Oh look, that smart dog just killed a snake."

As for any implication of altruism on the dogs behalf, as alluded to previously (and I would retract my above statement should this be proven true) it's a smart dog who knows their elapid identification.
I am not blaming the dog ....I just hate the media hype that goes along with it ..the problem is and I know people that do encourage their dogs to be snake killers and by reading this crap only confirms it, in their small heads that its a good thing to encourage .....as I said the very sad thing is ,dogs die ,snakes die and sad still is the fact they cant tell between a potential threat and simply a harmless species ...:(

I am a wildlife carer and constantly caring for reptiles that peoples pets have attacked. I'm also constantly getting calls from people wanting snakes relocated from their back yard (sometimes on acerage) I wish the media would use it's power to educate people on snakes natural habitat which includes backyards.
I would much rather a snake than a rat or mouse on my property.
The snake wouldn't have deliberately gotten that close to the lady, it was probably tying to get away from the dog.
The only time I willingly relocate a snake is when it is in someones house, and then it's to protect the snake, not the people.
I understand their fear, but a person is more likely to be attacked by a dog than bitten by a snake, but no-ones afraid of walking up to a stray dog and patting it.
I'm so glad to be part of a forum that feels the same way I do about reptiles.

I agree with Jason.

I also believe that dogs have the instinct to know and percieve what is a real and present danger and the dog would have acted accordingly. Sure the owner may have been further away than written but I have no doubt in my mind that the dog would be protecting it's owner.

Dan the man, have you never heard of stories where dog's have jumped into swimming pools of rivers and dragged people out??? It does happen.

I know dogs quite often save or at least try to save their owners, but I don't really believe that dogs know this funny looking long thin thing has venom that would harm us (not domesticated dogs any way, unsure about dingos etc). It moves so it wants to kill it. Yet I maybe wrong, not saying its a fact, just what I think.

Some dogs certainly know that "snakes" are venomous and some don't have a clue. "Dogs" arn't all on the same wave length... My current dog just want to be friends with everything, my last dog just wanted to kill everything....and she was damb good at it.

That's funny, same here. Old dog who finds snakes because I ask her to and just cos they're interesting and familiar to her, vs. my young dog who finds snakes because they're different and he wants to kill them. With a bit of training the young one has learnt to leave snakes alone but growls and alerts me to snakes in the bush (yes, and in the house in their cages sometimes :oops:). But last week up north he growled out (so to speak, ahem) a red belly, a scrubby and a whip snake, and a brown tree snake slough.

With my last dog, I had her locked up indoors one day as I think people were coming over to buy something and she would of killed them, I left her locked up for a few hours, then RBB came out from under the house and basked on the lawn, I chased it off then let the dog out, she ran out and went straight to the water bowl for a drink, caught a wiff of "something" and flew back in a flash, she would creep forward and jump back, it led her under the house and out into the yard where the snake was, she was extremely skittish and nervous, it was odd behaviour from her, she 100% knew it was a dangerous snake..... got me thinking to the time I found her in an aweful lot of pain unable to walk ;) Oh, she was a red cattle bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back