Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Sorry I know its been done a million and one times.
But within the next 2-3 weeks I'll be getting my first python (Childrens).
I've been reading for like a month and abit, But I'm sort of worried about it not feeding and it being too cool in winter?
Any tips

Sorry guys.
Thanks for the help.

Nathan

Nathan, How old/big is the Childrens going to be?

You would probably start with Pinkie mice, then move up in sizes as the snake gets bigger. The amount you feed it depends on how fast you want it to grow, etc.

As for temps I am not sure for childrens, but you need to have a temperature gradient. I am guessing (and only a guess) that you would want one end of the enclosure to be about 32 degrees and the other end about 26 degrees during the day. At night, it would drop to about 26-20 degrees. Someone who knows childrens requirements will be better off telling you heat levels than I.

Well I want one as a hatchling or just a tad older. So that would mean I'd have to start with pinkie mice to feed on?

Thanks

My hatchling maculosa were on rat pinkies by their 3rd week of feeding. Need to start on mouse pinkies but increase to fuzzies or rat pinkies fairly quickly.
Temp wise through winter, just make sure you have a thermometer in the cage and that you keep an eye on it. Between 28 and 32 at the warm end and no hotter than 26 or so at the cool end. Basking spot of up to 35 or so if you want to provide one.
Make sure and I mean MAKE SURE that your snake is feeding before you buy it. This means buying it off someone you can trust and not being lulled by a cheaper price into buying a non feeder. This is the biggest problem that newbies have. :D :D And remember, very very importantly, have fun

also a snake that is being sold as "great feeder on thawed mice and rats isn't always even feeding.

Also, gloves are not required for hatchling children's pythons...... :lol:

Magpie said:
Also, gloves are not required for hatchling children's pythons...... :lol:

Is this a joke, I've seen all these signatures with love the gloves etc
Am I missing something?

Nathan you'll have to be careul here, there is a member or two that likes to joke even about very serious subjects!! I think it's disgusting but what can you do :lol: :p :lol: :wink: :twisted: :wink:

Would I be right in thinking I dont need a pair of gloves for childrens pythons? so a simple snake hook will be all that is necessary for these calm docile 2 1/2 foot wonders? :oops:

:p Welcome to aps nathan,i would steer clear of skink feeders as they can be a hassle to get onto pinkies & at this time of year getting very hard to find skinks.Both my childreni are great feeders love the mice not real keen on rats but will eventually switch over im sure.Childrens are very very small as hatchies i was scared mine would break when i got them but they didnt lol,anways goodluck with getting new snake. :p

LOL Popp, I was exactly the same when I got my tiny little Mac... so scared I would break her, she was such a tiny little thing. Just like yours though, no breakages yet, and talk about a little guts, she's grown heaps. Now the baby Olive, that's a baby that looks indestructible, much happier holding her. :lol:

Same with me when I got my Stimmie's. So Small. Tough little buggers really though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back