Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anothergecko

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This will be my first post to this forum so hope it works!

I've been out quite a bit recently looking for reptiles in my local area, Kangaroo Valley on the NSW south coast, about 150km south of Sydney. The weather has been great for reptiles the last few weeks, and I've noticed quite a few species taking advantage of the weather.

Both Lampropholis species (L. delicata and L. guichenoti) have been active, as well as Southern Water Skink (Eulamprus heatwolei), Wall Skink (Cryptoblepharus virgatus), and Red-throated Skink (Acritoscincus playtnotus). Copper-tailed Skinks (Ctenotus taeniolatus) appear to still be hibernating, as I've found many underneath rocks on dirt at the top of the escarpment.

Several snakes are already on the move. This Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) ignored my presence, and allowed me to approach to within 3m. However, the Diamond Python (Morelia spilota spilota) below, was not so impressed, and almost forced me off the edge of a cliff!

Pseud_porp_1.jpg

Morel_spil_1.jpg

Today I took advantage of the sun and herped a few spots in the valley. A monstrous Lace Monitor (Varanus varius) was observed on top a rock outcrop, and slept as we photographed it.

Varan_vari_1.jpg

Soon after, we found our first snake of the day, a Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens), which was then followed by a little gem. Broad-headed Snakes (Hoplocephalus bungaroides) are my favourite species of all animals, and I am thrilled each time I see one. This little male was very cooperative, and he was soon left to enjoy his nicely heated rock.

Hoplo_bung_1.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
First post and you've got a field shot of a Hop.... nicely done :)

The Broad Headed was a very good find,as were the others.....

Anothergecko, nice lacie find! I've tried finding lacies around Kangaroo Valley, but without success. They seem to be very common around Nowra/Morton NP, though.

Can I ask where abouts you saw this lacie?

Thanks serpenttounge,

Unfortunately this particular Lacie was on private property, so I can't tell you exactly where I saw it. However, they are quite common in the western parts of the valley. The Tallowa Dam picnic area usually has some nice ones that scrounge around for food. You often see them crossing the road during warm weather as you head out to the dam as well, on Tallowa Dam Rd.

Heath Monitors are a bit more scarce, but are sometimes seen along this road as well.

Nigel

Thanks serpenttounge,

Unfortunately this particular Lacie was on private property, so I can't tell you exactly where I saw it. However, they are quite common in the western parts of the valley. The Tallowa Dam picnic area usually has some nice ones that scrounge around for food. You often see them crossing the road during warm weather as you head out to the dam as well, on Tallowa Dam Rd.

Heath Monitors are a bit more scarce, but are sometimes seen along this road as well.

Nigel

Yes, i've been to Tallowa Dam a few times as it looks like a typical lacie spot, however I have never seen one there. Last time I was there it was closed for construction work.

I've also tried Bendeela camping ground, but no luck.

Nigel,

Excellent report. Looks like you are finding lots of herps already.

I am curious as to how you are separating E. heatwolei from E. quoyii. Are you using the colour of the anterior margin of the ear opening or something else? I find Eulamprus to be a difficult genus.

Regards,
David

Eulamprus

David,

For the most part, I find Eulamprus heatwolei and E. quoyii are reasonably easy to differentiate. Generally, it is uncommon to find the two species living sympatrically, however, at Barren Grounds Nature Reserve and Budderoo National Park, I have observed both species. On one occasion, E. heatwolei were living on one side of a friend's driveway, while E. quoyii lived on the other!

E. heatwolei are much darker overall, with lots more black spots on the top of the head, body and sides. They also lack the golden stripe that runs from the eye over the shoulder, which is usally visible on E. quoyii. There are probably other features that seperate them, but the way I ID E. heatwolei from E. quoyii is by it's darker colour, lots of spots, and lack of obvious stripe above the forearm. I've included two pics of both species seen at Barren Grounds on the same day. From my experience at Barren Grounds, E. heatwolei outnumber E. quoyii quite considerably, especially on the Griffith Trail.

Hope this helps!

Nigel

Eula_heat_1.jpg

Eulam_quoy_1.jpg

good stuff, the broad headed must have been a buzz to find - good post, look forward to more :D

cheers HK.

Mate congrats on the Broad Headed, that is one speccy find. The other animals are tops too (I'm still yet to see a wild Diamond), but that BHS does it for me mate.

Thanks for the excellent info and pics about the Eulamprus.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back