Herping laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally no - interfering with fauna is an offence in most jurisdictions. Strictly speaking you are offending even if you're saving a reptile from death on the road too.

Jamie

no its not aloud, personally id do it anyway.
just don't record it or you could get a $600 or something shocking like that.

Howdy Ben, its been said already so I wont echo. The penalties though in the NT are also quite rigorously enforced and I have spoken to more than 1 person who has been fined for picking animals up that they know they shouldn't. Best one I have been told about was a chap who was down in Central who decided to pick up a thorny devil and take it to his kids school. Apparently he was fined over $900.

I know the itch is there, but sometimes its better to just look and not touch...

Cant get to YT at work brother, how the hell did they manage to do that? Like you just picked it up and a ranger saw you and was like oi lad! pay up!??
wasn't me, i was speaking on behalf of him. the authorities saw his video on youtube and then the bill came. he also got threatened with a 3 year sentence for helping a injured echidna.

Geez there are some retards out there in official circles. It's pretty sad when you get threatened with a fine for releasing a trapped animal or helping an injured animal that you are taking to WIRES/Vet etc. Even picking one up for a photo is a pretty lame excuse for a fine. How about acting on reports of poaching or neglect like the thread from a while back about the guys in Nth Qld.

It's pretty sad when you get threatened with a fine for releasing a trapped animal
An animal trapped in e.g. a cane toad trap you shouldn't release because these traps are monitored and by-catch released under and approved ethics. An animal trapped in e.g. a barbed wire fence you should not get fined for and in a court of law will be dimissed.

helping an injured animal that you are taking to WIRES/Vet et
You won't be fined for catching an injured animal as long as you follow the strict time limit to take it to a licensed carer. Once again if someone does fine you, your side will hold up in court.

Even picking one up for a photo is a pretty lame excuse for a fine.
Maybe a lame excuse, maybe not but this is at least understandably interfering with wildlife, and is not ambiguous in terms of law at all. Picking up an animal for a picture without a license, always illegal.

There is argument that just taking a picture of wildlife with a flash is interfering, distressing to the wildlife. While it might be true in the rare case of something super sensitive (I can actually imagine doing this killing a delicate mouse once in a while), the level of bull that that goes to is just an example of the crazy that these wildlife agencies are coming too.

Sorry Gruni for quoting you, it's more of a general perspective on the thread and your sentences made good quotes to base them off, I'm not directing anything at you, and I agree it's ridiculous. And I'm not saying that nobody has been fined or threatened over doing technically legal things, just that you can hold them up in a court of law.

Strictly speaking you are offending even if you're saving a reptile from death on the road too.
A couple of Australian Herpos have been taken to court over pictures of them holding Monitors they removed from the road, they were not licensed to catch THAT species at the time but the court ruled that removing the animal from the road was in its best interest and they were let off. It's a ridiculous hassle but at least it precedents common sense to prevail in the situation.

I didn't mind the quotes, I was deliberately trying to sum up the thread in my post anyway. I understand the photography one but on the whole it still bemuses me when the authorities shrug off major examples of neglect etc.

i shall continue to remove lizards from the road and place them a safe distance away and if someone catches me and wants to fine me then ill happily see them in court, just gotta hope the judge is a wise person not some idiot ive been seeing in the news lately

If you are driving through the Daintree N.P., along its narrow winding road that has numerous no stopping signs along its length, and you happen to find a large Scrub Python laying across the road as they often do, the only legal option your left with is to drive over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back