Herping Oenpelli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice stuff, Gordo. This Children's pythons in the Arnhem Escarpment look quite different to the ones down in the lowlands. Lots of people mistake them for baby Oenpelli pythons (wishful thinking, understandably). Oenpelli pythons come out of the egg at about 80-90cm, whereas the Children's pythons don't tend to get that big even as adults (as far as I'm aware).

It's interesting to see that all of the 'Similar Threads' down below are from people asking about Oenpelli pythons in captivity. It's nice to know that there are still people keen to see these beasts in the wild. Keep searching! I have it on good authority that Oenpelli pythons are still around.

Stewart

are they still a source of food for the aboriginals ?

ROFL

Nice stuff, Gordo. This Children's pythons in the Arnhem Escarpment look quite different to the ones down in the lowlands. Lots of people mistake them for baby Oenpelli pythons (wishful thinking, understandably). Oenpelli pythons come out of the egg at about 80-90cm, whereas the Children's pythons don't tend to get that big even as adults (as far as I'm aware).

It's interesting to see that all of the 'Similar Threads' down below are from people asking about Oenpelli pythons in captivity. It's nice to know that there are still people keen to see these beasts in the wild. Keep searching! I have it on good authority that Oenpelli pythons are still around.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart.

I have been told about the stone country childrens being different to the normal childrens and heard conjecture from some herpers wether they are a distinct species or not. If i could find what i've done with the pictures of the two types we get here i would show how different they are. What got me was how slender it was, colour and how high small the scales were and that i couldn't see it's head. I knew it was on the small side for a hatchie Nawarran but with the small sample size of what has been studied, i still thought that the size it was (75cm) was within their range.

Just makes me more eager to find one now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back