Herping out the front yard. Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakes123

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I think its a small lace monitor?? Every year in the summer months there is always a big lace monitor that wonders through out front lawn every few days. So this might be one of its kids? :)

Sorry for the bad pics didn't have the DSLR at mums.

Attachments

• DSCN2509.jpg
    DSCN2509.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCN2510.jpg
    DSCN2510.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCN2512.jpg
    DSCN2512.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 292
Hi,
That doesn't look like a lacie to me.. more like a Heath Monitor (V. rosenbergi). Nice animal. Both species are in your area though.

Ok, thanks. It was nice and makes me more excited to get my ackies :)

I agree with the others that it looks like a Heath Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi).
It's a good find. You're lucky to see one, as they're less common than the Lace Goanna.
Try and get some better pics.

I agree with the others that it looks like a Heath Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi).
It's a good find. You're lucky to see one, as they're less common than the Lace Goanna.
Try and get some better pics.

Ill try next time it comes around.

It is definitely a Heath Monitor.

The easy way to tell is that Lacies have broad bands on the last section of their tail and Heath Monitors have narrow bands all the way or the end of the tail might be completely dark. Heaths also have smaller and more numerous lip banding than Lacicies - maybe 6 or 7 compared to 3 or 4. That should help you to ID iwhich is which when you come across them. After a while you can pick it up from the overall colour patter.

Blue

That's a very helpful post Blue, not only for the O.P. but for the many others who would like to know how to tell the difference between the two species.

Thanks Bushman.

The two animals do look very similar in most of the range where they are found together. This way I figure if you get a look at either end, you are a good chance to make a positive ID. Helps for photo labels and satisfying to know if you were just out for a wander.

Cheers,
Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back