Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardman59

Reaction score
Herping in perth hills (Western brown) - YouTube

yeh me and 69blottfilms69 found this western brown in our herping vid we made today alot better vid then the last one 69blottfilms69 is getting a canon 550d and im getting a nikon d70 for christmas so expect alot better quality soon but still the quality is alright we might make a night herping vid soon and we should have a couple frog vids up in about a week summer s coming up so we are also looking for some monitors so expect alot more vid plz sub it would really help us out thanks alot:D

Well I'm no good at IDing blurry animal but isn't that another Parastua gouldiii? It sure as hell isn't a brown.

And both of you need to learn some of the simplest rules of herping. Don't roll stuff with a stick, this can cause things to drop back down at bad angles injuring things underneath. Always stand on one side of an object, grab the other side and roll towards you keeping the side nearest you on the ground. Not only is this easier on the back but it gives a barrier in between you and any potential snake underneat. In this way the snake does not feel trapped and can quickly move off.
Most importantly unless you are taking rubbish home with you put everything back exactly where you found it this mean logs, rocks, pieces of board or tin that you flip and the animals. Those micro-habitats can take time to develop into the best place for certain animals and by moving and not replacing them you are destroying them in seconds.

Your videos are getting slightly better though, I'm keen to keep seeing them in the future.

We did put everything back did you hear me say with the tile i said put it back?
and we rolled the rock with are hands
We used the stick on small stuff so we can stand put incase everything is there

We have that book thanks:)
and why a snake hook?

I reccomend you flick through it and get familiar with the snakes in your area and how to ID them correctly.

hooks are so you stop using big lumps of clumsy wood! You shouldn't be touching the snakes you find under most circumstances, i use my hook more for lifting things to look underneath them so i don't have to stick my fingers in places i can't see.

At 0:13 you flip a rock and it doesn't go back.

No need to use a stick on small stuff in case something is there, if you are careful and role it towards you and don't just dump it back down on the animal you'll be fine.

I definitely suggest you familiarise yourself with the reptiles in your area and learn to ID them better but I would suggest the book Reptiles and Frogs in the Bush South Western Australia. By the way most the frogs in your frog video are Litoria adelaidensis.

Nice find on the Gould's Hooded Snake.
Great little snakes and easy to handle (I didn't just say that).

The day you guys find a Gwardar, you will know it is a Gwardar!
They are fast moving and can be really hard to photograph when disturbed.
If you guys are out near the Yanchep area anytime, let me know and I will show you a few spots where you will find a good amount of different species that are found in the Perth area.

Can you really tell from that blurry footage that's its not a juvie dugite geckphotographer?
I'd be 95+% sure. You see how at the front the dark patch it has a light band, the patch is solid black, and it has dark edged scales, these all strongly indicate it is not just a very unusually patterned juvenile Western Brown Snake. (That one linked still looks nothing like this it has a darker head but not solidly black like a Parasuta) The head shape of this individual also appears more like a Parasuta.

Thanks for a good comments and if you have a youtube channel please sub!
and me James i have only been into this for 2 weeks so im still learning lots.
Also in the videos Heath is lizardman59 who made the thread
we are more into lizards but we are trying to learn more about the snakes
thnaks

Obviously clearer than what I'm seeing on my phone then. I realize western browns aren't refered to as affinis. Just surprised that he would say it looks NOTHING like a brown. Which affinis is. All I can see is a blurry pic of a snake with a black head lol.

On a computer you can clearly see the hood, the pale spots forward of the eyes, the proportions and the colouration. 100% Parasuta gouldii.

Isn't it ileagal to photograph and film wildlife in wa if you have to move things? I half remember someone getting busted for this... unless you have an apprprate licence?

As far as I know that's all of Australia and only if you interfere with the animal. I.e. you can flip the rock but when you find it you can't touch it. The actions they take in their Frogging video however are illegal and if a Fauna authority wanted to they could be charged. I personally want to see that happen cause I think it would create a benchmark case that would allow younger people to be allowed to catch frogs, and such without there being a chance of prosecution. Which honestly they should be able to do.

Lizardman59, it is great to see you getting out there and getting amongst it to learn. That is exactly what I did at your age just as often as I could. It is apparent from watching you that you are very much just starting out. So great to see you have taken on board what Geckophotographer and others have advised. It is valuable information from experienced herpers and should be listened to and carefully considered for the messages it convey.

My concern relates to what you are wearing. I am 57 and when I go out herping in thick bush I always wear thick woolly socks that pull up almost to my knees and long, thick baggy pants. I have never trodden on a snake to date, despite countless hours spent in the bush. However, I reckon the day I wear shorts will be the day that it happens. In the bush, I am on their turf and they have the advantage. I will always maintain that respect. Herping in sandy desert dune and open rock areas is a different kettle of fish and I may well don the shorts for such occasions. But long grass or bush trails in scrub or forest with undergrowth, there is not a choice in what I wear.

You boys should take Niall up on his generous offer. Maybe even have a look at the WAHS herp society website. I would also look at getting a light-weight tripod if you are serious about videoing. They are not expensive or heavy.

As has been stated, on the computer Snowman you can clearly see the extent of the head markings, which differ from juvenile browns. You can also make out the individual scales are edged in black which forms a fine reticulum, typical of P. gouldii but not Pseudonaja species.

Cheers,
Blue

I ware jeans high top shoes but Lizardman5 my mate always wears shorts ill be sure to tell him
and the frogs are in my yard in my dam i did't harm any.

So i can flip rocks and look for stuff
But i can't touch it
What if its a thicktail or marble geckos not even a little handle?
And yeah i DON'T TOUCH SNAKES AND ANY ROCKS I MOVE I PUT BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back