Herping round the bush DUW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
Oh Hai gais! I bin workin in da bush, bin find these one mental animal eh!

Start with inverts:

some huge bug
24032009147y.jpg

24032009149y.jpg

Land crabs
24032009176y.jpg

24032009181y.jpg

And the first live one i ever seen
24032009192y.jpg

Some lizards
unidentified dragons
23032009140y.jpg

23032009140y.jpg

And now for the snakes.

Road kill black whip, this one was a monster hey about 1.5m.
23032009145y.jpg

23032009144y.jpg

Ant kill northern shovel nose
26032009206y.jpg

26032009210y.jpg

And i'll give 10 bucks to anyone who can identify this snake! (yes i do know what it is and i was totally tickled to have found it)
24032009172y.jpg

24032009173y.jpg

I have a few more pics of other animals, but they were all boring rd kill and i didn't want to make this thread too long.

Wow, that beetle ROCKS!!! I want one!
Hehe, it seems most things your fast enough to get a pik of are dead.....

new someone like eipper would post the answer. dont even think my field guide has that in it, might, I dont pay that much attention. I usually just look at the reptiles of nsw field guide (wouldnt have that snake in it I dont think)

Nice shoot's had no clue what that snake was but now i can see it is a Demansia quaesitor, had a look in my field guide.

new someone like eipper would post the answer. dont even think my field guide has that in it, might, I dont pay that much attention. I usually just look at the reptiles of nsw field guide (wouldnt have that snake in it I dont think)

Certainly wouldn't be in a sydney book lol. It is in the 2nd edition Swan Et Al under the appendix as they were only described late in the publication. I missed it in the appendix and had to ask a mate what it was, he lives in their range and has only seen one or two. This one was found in a remote community called Minyerri (google maps doesn't even show this place), it was a serious herp hot house, i was hardly looking for anything and found heaps.

I had my money on collard whip i was so close :lol:

"Demansia quaesitor Shea, G.M. & Scanlon, J.D. 2007. Revision of the Small Tropical Whipsnakes previously referred to Demansia oliviacea (Gray, 1842) and Demansia torquata (Günther, 1862) (Squamata: Elapidae). Records of the Australian Museum 59(2): 117-142 [127]."

Here's a couple more things i found. If anyone want to jump in on the identity of the dragons i would appreciate it.

24032009177y.jpg

and i think this skink is a C. Innornatus
24032009151y.jpg

24032009152y.jpg

Hodgson Downs

Certainly wouldn't be in a sydney book lol. It is in the 2nd edition Swan Et Al under the appendix as they were only described late in the publication. I missed it in the appendix and had to ask a mate what it was, he lives in their range and has only seen one or two. This one was found in a remote community called Minyerri (google maps doesn't even show this place), it was a serious herp hot house, i was hardly looking for anything and found heaps.

Hi Waruikazi

I was on the project building Houses, Unit's and the Power Station at Hodgson Downs (Minyerri) many years ago, the local's took me out hunting, fishing and croc spotting.

They tell me that them lands are sacred snake lands because of the Monsterous Black Headed Python's that roam around(which the ladies kill and bring back for tucker)

There were plenty of cane toads just kicking in back then, what's it like these days?

Many monitors cruising?

P.S. I think that the lizard was a Tympanocryptis Lineata?, not certain of the I.D. or spelling, but working from memory.

Cheers, and nice pic's

Your first dragon's are female or immature (i'll take young female) Diporophora possibly magna without being in the hand it not an easy call.

As for how did I know that....Well that paper came out in 2007.

As for Ctenotus inornatus.....possibly or one about 4 others up that way.

The other dragon is a male Dip magna

There is currently a revision taking place in Diporophora so this will change soon.

AS for field guide reliability

Well since Wilson & Swan 2008 came out (there cut off was around Sept 07) there has been about 50 species described/ or moved from being junior synonyms.

Then you genera changes etc ......How many are still using Egernia major, E. whitti and E. coventryi????

As for $10 donate to the vic bush fire fund

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Hi Waruikazi

I was on the project building Houses, Unit's and the Power Station at Hodgson Downs (Minyerri) many years ago, the local's took me out hunting, fishing and croc spotting.

They tell me that them lands are sacred snake lands because of the Monsterous Black Headed Python's that roam around(which the ladies kill and bring back for tucker)

There were plenty of cane toads just kicking in back then, what's it like these days?

Many monitors cruising?

P.S. I think that the lizard was a Tympanocryptis Lineata?, not certain of the I.D. or spelling, but working from memory.

Cheers, and nice pic's

The cane toads were the worst there than i have seen anywhere else. I think it had alot to do with this time of year though cause there was still heaps of water around. I didn't see a single monitor hey, like everywhere up here the toads have just destroyed them. It's a pretty neat little community, how long ago were you there?

How did the northern shovel nosed snake get ant strike?

-H

I haven't a clue, i recon it just would have been unlucky and crossed the ants path at the wrong time. It wasn't flattened so it hadn't been run over. I'll ad that the shovel nose was found in boroloola the next day not Minyerri.

The cane toads were the worst there than i have seen anywhere else. I think it had alot to do with this time of year though cause there was still heaps of water around. I didn't see a single monitor hey, like everywhere up here the toads have just destroyed them. It's a pretty neat little community, how long ago were you there?

I think it was 1996 or 1997?

The toads were double the size of my size 10 steel capped boots!!!!!!!

1 of the other contractors was shooting them with a 357 handgun, i used the good old star picket and a 44 drum of fire to do my bit :lol:

They were everywhere back then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back